Vinyl top removal

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
Looking to buy a Regal for a project car, most of the ones I find are the half vinyl top cars, can this be removed easily and without having any major body work?

It will need to come from a desert climate, and even then you might have problems.

take a look at my album pics.you will see very good pictures from when i did this.there definatly is body work needed after and be prepared to find small amounts of rust.the quarter panels do not get much attention under there from the factory. you will also need to grind off all the posts for the trim clips.then you need to get hard top quarter glass,and then add special screws all along the rear window to hold the clips that hold on the rear glass trim.the rear trim is very different from the two types. but...very do-able.check my pics.

I got a cutlass that i removed the vinyl top from. its from west coast canada, but had no rust suprises. Body work needed is to grind out the trim studs. The roof/c pillar joint will look very ugly, so that will have to be sanded out and then filled with good body filler. And since the original vinyl trim is attached to the fabric at the rear window, you will need to attach studs to the rear window frame for the hard top trim.

The biggest problem you'll have is where the back window is. The attaching points for the rear window trim aren't there and you have to figure out a way to make them work.

The biggest problem you'll have is where the back window is. The attaching points for the rear window trim aren't there and you have to figure out a way to make them work.

there is a special screw that is made just for this. i actually have a bunch left,but they are found easily on ebay.you use the plastic trim clip as your template for where to insert the screw. this is by far the easiest part of all of it.

there is a special screw that is made just for this. i actually have a bunch left,but they are found easily on ebay.you use the plastic trim clip as your template for where to insert the screw. this is by far the easiest part of all of it.

Didn't know you could get them on evilbay, thanks for the info.:)

Wouldn't happen to have a link to them would ya?