VIN verification

opeltwinturbo said:
Is VIN 1G4GJ1176hp444737 a true GN? Trunk decal is missing. Thanks.
i think if you just go to google and type gn vin,it will show you,not sure tho...mine has a gk and gp where yours has the gj and hp?mines a true..hth

I dont think the VIN will tell you if it's a GN(since mine was new it's been known to DMV as a Regal, for example) or not..Only thing VIN shows is that it's a Turbo motor(8th digit being a 7)... :)

Check the door panels

The Brodcast sheets will list if it is a Gn. Check behind the driver door skin, and behind the rear seat. There shoulkd be a broadcast sheet that was sent down the line with the car top let the assembly know what to install. I will list the vin and what type of interior it is calling for. It will also list the WE2 code, but this code is only on the door.
DAve

reads to me like a standard 87 turbo regal.

could be a GN or a T but either way it was a factory turbo car.

if you cant find a we2 anywhere look for some specific GN items that are commonly missed when someone wants to make a GN out of a T

first thing i would say is check the glovebox plaque. 90+% of all t to GN conversions i saw stayed with the " Buick Regal" in the plaque

also check that there is NO CHROME except the wheels and emblems. GN should also have the gray dash.

i am sure there is something i am not thinking of, but wanted to pass that along

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are a few clues: '87 GNs never came with aluminum bumper reinforcements, never came with aluminum drums, the firewall would have been black original color (could scrape a small spot to check), all had bumper guards. I am unsure about the bumper guards. The previous owner could have installed aluminum parts if they are there (I did).

Remember GN was the trim package, VIN won't give that info. Compare to a known WE2 package for clues like stated above. Clones can be made, but is the price difference really worth the work and expence of the pieces. And very few repaints are "perfect" if you know where to look.

If that car still has the cowl tag at the base of the windshield than you can tell what turbo model it is. That is a legit 87 turbo VIN. Look for the codes AR9 for bucket seats and 82C, this is the GN interior trim. Any other code as far as the interior goes and its probally something else. Post back here if you come up with different codes. BTW this applies to other TRs too. Limiteds and GNs used specific inteior codes so it is easy to tell if something doesn't jive. Dont have a cowl tag? Than I would be very suspicious as to why it was removed and not put back on. Missing SPID labels are easy to explain why they are missing but there should be no reason for a missing cowl tag.

Another easy check

Hers another easy check that most miss when they convert from regal to turbo car. Check on the ac sticker, it should say Turbo.

Dave

Evaddave 87gn said:
Hers another easy check that most miss when they convert from regal to turbo car. Check on the ac sticker, it should say Turbo.

Dave

has a 7 vin and a J

its an 87 with a factory turbo motor

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are a few clues: '87 GNs never came with aluminum bumper reinforcements, never came with aluminum drums,
My friends low mileage, low option GN had both and had no posi. It also had the Buick Regal badge on the dash. It was a real GN.

Real GN

Say what?/? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Is it an 82?
All 87 Gn's had the Badge, posi 342, and the steering wheel emblem. Did you check the trunk codes? Could be a lid from a different trunk. Sounds like a fake. Anyone else???

DAve

GN? Not when I ran it

I did as you instructed, it did not show as a GN It stated Body stlye "unknown". It showed as a Turbo charged Buick Regal. Not a GN. I have search 4 diferent state titles on documented GN's. And not one of those states listed the Model as a GRAND NATIONAL. As you know not all turbo cars are GRand Nats.
Dave

Sorry, I meant to say Turbo Buick. I'm just so use to just telling people I have a GN, since most don't know what a Turbo-T is. :)

If I read the factory manual correctly all 1987 Grand Nationals have a D as the 5th character in the VIN
Harry

Im not sure if the black carpet thing is really a way to tell if its a gn for sure or not. Mine is an 84, and has the bluish carpet. My vin when looked up shows a t type, which supposedly all except for the 87 will show as a t type when looked up by the vin.

By the way, why dont we have an "Interior" section on this website? I need help with some interior issues badly.