Video Surveillance

camino70

I am interested in installing some cameras in and around the home and not sure what is a goodproduct. I am interested in having a pc as the basis of the system and don't mind running catv or whatever else around the house. Any direction would be great!
Thanks,
Ron

anyone know of a cheap system i could watch the shop from the computer at home??

Thanks for the replies.

LV GN,
That is kinda what I am going for, keep an eye on the house from the office and the office from the house. More then likely I will be mating the surveillance with a pc in each location and using PCAnywhere to access the other from either location. With PCAnywhere(and there are many other products similar to choose from) you can use either high speed internet on either side and access via ip address or you can use a modem and phone line and access by dialing the given phone number. Also, I have seen a system that has its own pc typr machine that the video goes to and can be accessed via the internet, haven't done much homework on that though.

Ron

LV GN said:
anyone know of a cheap system i could watch the shop from the computer at home??

You could wire all the cameras into a computer thats located(sp) at the shop THEN set up either remote access to the computer or just make the cameras act like a web cam sorta and have a log in and password to view them. Il hunt around some on the net and see what I can find to do this more user friendly and easily tough :D

Do a google under "ip security cameras"... There are a ton out there, local company here set's them up so that each camera has it's own IP on your router..set up a VPN and you can get in on the 'net..Nice setup !!

what about one that starts blaring inna gadda da vida shoots a twelve foot chain link fence up and turns on 25 different strobe lights? At my family's feed store we have had a couple people steal pretty good amounts of hay before we realized they were doing it, now it's all on lock down but I would love to get a system up like you guys are talking about so we can watch it from our house.