Very tough ethical question

Demon

Ruler of the Underworld
Hey all,

Need some opinions on this one:

Two months ago, I made a promise to somebody, somebody that I no longer speak to and hate with a passion. Well, the time has come where I need to either keep my word or go back on it. To fulfill this promise, I don't really need to do too much in terms of effort or cash outlay; it's something very little and insignificant. But it was a promise nevertheless.

What do you think? Should I keep my promise or say the heck with it? I've never broken one in my life before, if that's worth anything.

Thanks,
M

Based on the details you have given I would say keep the promise and be the better person. Don't let your dislike for someone ruin your integrity.

Originally posted by striker_29
Bang her sister.

:D

Pay no attention to Striker, he is a sick man!

Always take the high road. Do whatever you said you would do, then you'll be done with the guy.

keep your promise bang his or her sister then bang him, and show him who the better man is. LMAO.

Originally posted by striker_29
Bang her sister.

Ah, that was rich!:D

I say keep your word. Although I'm curious, why do you loathe this person now and what's the promise? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ex- cheated on me, but I didn't know itat the time. As we were doing the splitting of assets thing (I didn't know we were splitting up because she was with somebody else...there's a LONG thread about this - do a search for my name), I promised that I would stop by 'our' place, which is now her's, and see if she still felt the same way. That was when I thought she just "needed some time alone" which I later found out to mean "I met somebody while I was away on vacation enjoying the birthday present YOU gave to me..."

DOING THE RIGHT THING IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO

Integrity is priceless...

You are an honorable person,

and therefore, will keep your word.

On that question, there is no question.
--------------------------------------------------------

No one else can take your personal honor & integrity

away from you, but people throw theirs away every day.
---------------------------------------------------------

EXAMPLE:

If a person's word means nothing to them,

how much less is it worth to any one else?

Hire a Hooker!!

OK, here's a plan that you can keep your word and feel great doing it. Get a very close friend (gonna need one for this) that just puts the ex to shame. Better everything...boobs, legs, butt, EVERYTHING. This looker has just become your main squeeze. Take your new lady along with you for the drop by visit. At the front door, have your new lady hanging all over you...have your arm around her waist.

Go ahead and ask the question "Do you still feel the same way?"
A: "Yes, I do. We're done"
You: "Great! I'm free from the b!tch!" Lay one on the new lady right in front of her. Get grabby, get a handfull of @ss while you're at it for the effect. Then turn and leave. :p

--or--
A: "No, I want to get back together"
You: "Too late B!tch! I found somebody way better than you!" Lay one on the new lady right in front of her. Get grabby, get a handfull of @ss while you're at it for the effect. Then turn and leave. :p

Either way, you've kept to your word to return and ask. But you have the satisfaction of walking away with the upper hand and hopefully making her jealous and enfuriated at the same time...she's gotta be pissed at somebody that has the nerve to bring their new girl by for this visit!!:D

Like I said, you'll need a close friend to help with this...but it's be worth it.

Additional thing to do to add insult to injury. Have a friend tape the entire thing from across the street on video. Send it into AFV and see if it gets selected. You could also come out $100,000 richer if it does!! Now that would be the ultimate slap in the face...having all America watch you "get dumped" at your own front door!:eek:
Dan

Dan,

There are days I wonder how you read my mind. I was JUST reading this thread, ready to reply that VERY SAME ANSWER!!! BRAVO!

The morality of this whole thing is void due to the fact you made a committment to her based on one set of circumstances when she knew something totally different was the facts. She basically gained a promise from you under false pretenses. That is wrong of her and you are not morally obligated in any way. It would be foolish and immoral of you to honor a promise made under false information she gave you. I don't know all the info here, but sounds like she has kind of manipulated you in a number of ways. For what it is worth, Mark

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
The morality of this whole thing is void due to the fact you made a committment to her based on one set of circumstances when she knew something totally different was the facts. She basically gained a promise from you under false pretenses. That is wrong of her and you are not morally obligated in any way. It would be foolish and immoral of you to honor a promise made under false information she gave you. I don't know all the info here, but sounds like she has kind of manipulated you in a number of ways. For what it is worth, Mark

..........hmmmm.............that's one way to look at it. Under false pretenses, therefore, he is not obligated.........kinda lawyer sounding, but I like it.:cool:

I'll cut to the chase

This doesn't even come close to being an ethical question. Sounds like you just want an excuse to go see her again. She lied and cheated on you. What difference does it make how she feels now?

If someone screws you over, any prior obligations or promises are null and void. There is no dilema there at all.

Good grief, Demon, man up and move on.