Very General Question

rose1mr

I have 87 GN that is a garage queen. She doesnt go out much, and when she does, its a few miles here n there! Currently she is getting ready to turn 20,000.

My question is...since I have less than 200 miles on the oil since her last change, do I need to change it? I use mobil 1 and the bigger oil filter..but its been probally 18 months since it was changed...but due to the lack of milage, I havent bothered. SHould I change it? And, should the other fluids be changed regualrly as well?

Some Advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Personally I would change it once a year regardless. And you should drive it more often!!!!

rose1mr said:
I have 87 GN that is a garage queen. She doesnt go out much, and when she does, its a few miles here n there! Currently she is getting ready to turn 20,000.

My question is...since I have less than 200 miles on the oil since her last change, do I need to change it?

One word, condensation.
Given enough time, and temperature changes, you'll have water collect. Brake fluid, tranny fluid, engine, engine oil.

The only way to get condensation out, is to get the engine, tanny etc., up to temp, ie over 200dF, so that it starts to vaporize.

Just going a few miles isn't enough, and IMO, the worst thing you can be doing, if you want to drive the car, please drive it long enough to get it fully up to temp..

If you look at most service manuals they give a mileage OR time for fluid replacement, because of condensation..

The two worst enemies of oil are heat and moisture. If the oil does not experience frequent heat cycles, moisture will deteriorate the lubricicity (sp?) of the medium.

If you drive, drive it through a few heat cycles every time before shutting it down.

HTH