Venting Valve covers

rmorrell

I still have the stock oil filler tube and a make shift vent on the passenger side as I have deleted the connection from the turbo. What is the best vent/seal for the stock valve covers on both passenger and driver side? Both of these areas leak and I would like to fix that issue.

So What have you guys found works the best? Thanks

IMO, the best thing to do is install an electric evacuation system on it. It's turned on by boost pressure and sucks all the pressure out of the crankcase helping to eliminate any oil leaks you get when under boost. There's a large thread on it if you search for it.

ks

Most people use an open element filter for both. I think Kirban (and probably other vendors) sells them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

On our bigger HP engines, we just weld big tubes onto the covers and clamp on breathers. My new covers have a 1 3/4 inch tube on each cover.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1368273011.286893.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Open breathers and vent the front cover. The front cover can be vented via the mechanical fuel pump delete plate...drill a hole, barb it, run a tube with an open breather on top.

Open breathers and vent the front cover. The front cover can be vented via the mechanical fuel pump delete plate...drill a hole, barb it, run a tube with an open breather on top.

eeenteresting.... haven't heard of that before.

Can anyone post a link for the vac evacuation system? I am doing the same thing rmorrell is, thing leaks oil all over the place. I seaps out at the breathers, collects on the wire loom and under the cover lips and makes it's way down. Would like to clean it up and get rid of the mess. I have a set of GN1 rocker covers, just need to figure out what harware I need.

Can anyone post a link for the vac evacuation system? I am doing the same thing rmorrell is, thing leaks oil all over the place. I seaps out at the breathers, collects on the wire loom and under the cover lips and makes it's way down. Would like to clean it up and get rid of the mess. I have a set of GN1 rocker covers, just need to figure out what harware I need.

I wasn't sure if you wanted the electric evac system link but if anyone is interested here's the link:

http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/crankcase-evacuation-with-the-lt1-smog-pump-how-to.234420/

ks

I've found venting the front cover works better than an electric evac system. Cheaper too.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1368319196.541062.jpg

Here's a pic

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1368319166.789904.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1368319166.789904.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 192
BEATAV8 said:
eeenteresting.... haven't heard of that before.

Looked it up in the dictionary.... It's spelled interesting***! Lol! Sorry couldn't help myself! Int. Not eeent. Haha. After everything I've learned(mostly from you), and considering I still get a little bit of oil coming out of the breathers, I think the more places you can find to vent the crankcase the better!

vacuum, I like your vent set up. Does it interfere with the accessory bracket, power steering pump, A/C compressor?

A crazy thing called blow by. This happens when an engine starts making power and/or worn rings. IMO - even an engine with worn rings is fine unless you're down on power but keep your eye on over contaminated oil...oil smells too much like gas change it.

Just fired up the new engine. With each valve cover vented, front cover vented and seating the rings correctly I'm not seeing any issues.

Walter