vendors at BPG event

As far as the vendors are concerned theres plenty of times people are wondering about products but worried about the shipping nightmares with parts on backorder etc...Vs if you see the item you want can put ur hands on it and take it home then youll prolly buy it cause its sitting ther looking at you...I came to norwalk With turbo $$ and parts $$ in hand noone had the turbo i needed, noone had a double pumper or even a good single pump,noone had any scan masters,FMICS,downpipes, at the time i was looking for all of these items not all at once though...Hr parts n stuff got all my $$ i bought a swaybar ,motor mounts and LCA braces....

I am a vendor and will tell you that it is a losing proposition, BUT....... Hartline Performance will continue to attend. I keep thinking that if we support the races (vending, sponsorship, contingency,etc..), the racers will support us. We brought over $30,000 worth of inventory to the previous race at Norwalk, and sold about 10%. When it comes to turbos, we refuse to stock them. There are way too many variations, and I want the customer to get EXACTLY what he needs, not whatever is closest that I have in stock.

I did post in another thread that I was coming to this event and would bring any pre-orders at a discounted price. This way you would get EXACTLY what you wanted at a BPG event discounted price. I only had 2 people pre-order and they got exactly what they wanted.

Good points are brought up in this thread. We all are not wrong here, we all have our points of view. Maybe Sean and the BPG can figure something out for next year. Our likes and dislikes have been noted. Lets all not let this draw any kind of stakes through what we all love to do. I hope I didn't offend anybody here, if I did I am sorry.

I don't think that you offended anyone at all. I didnt take it that way. There was alot of different opinions and the hope is that something maybe taken into consideration in the future to help to increase attendance. I have only been one time but from what I gather the attendance has been steadily dropping off due to safety restraints, however it has been stated here that maybe getting some relief on some things is not going to happen as the track will not bend on the rules.

Good points are brought up in this thread. We all are not wrong here, we all have our points of view. Maybe Sean and the BPG can figure something out for next year. Our likes and dislikes have been noted. Lets all not let this draw any kind of stakes through what we all love to do. I hope I didn't offend anybody here, if I did I am sorry.

No offence taken here Ted. I will pm you when our decades of luck runs out at Norwalk;) This thread is an excellant one I agree. If we cant express our opinions on this event and what we feel will help it, then it will go away and leave alot of people disapointed.

I dont think I have ever heard Norwalk, BG, Reynolds get this kind of negative feedback. Theres a reason for it, lets just keep that in mind.

When ever an issue arises at these events they are handled with class. Not "if you dont like the way things are done and the rules, dont come"! That attitude keeps racers, spectators, vendors at home waiting to go to the other events or not coming out at all.

This is "BY DESIGN" people! They DONT want everone to know how the bullsh*t rules National Trail inforces and BPG runs to support are! they want you drive there and SPEND your money only to find this out. Same goes for there general admission fees. you didnt hear anything about that till everyone got worked. Can you imagine if they shouted all this on there flyers, website, exc?? Its taken a few years for everyone to get it but its finally here. Newer guys are finding it out the hard way. The attendance is all the proof you need!!! I dont wanna see any events lost but keep holding it there and its all but done.

please research before you make posts about pricing and flyers

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/national-racing-events-info/294005-2010-bpg-event-information.html

2010 Event Pricing

2010 Event Flyer

I can see why you wouldnt want to line up against a guy with no cage cause him having one will save your life right?:rolleyes:

no but because I have one and he does not and something breaks and he hits me or I hit him who is going to get hurt worse.

Its cheaper because they cant get alot of large events held there because of how they OPRERATE IT! If you dont have a large amount of groups wanting to do anything at your track then you have to lower your price right... hello??

You ever hear of the Mopar Nationals...that is a large event...and then look at their schedule they host lots of large events National Trail Raceway: 2010 National Trail Raceway Schedule

If NTR is so much cheaper than the other tracks like Norwalk, exc.. why such huge fees to attend??:confused:

Because we offer large payouts...this year was over $6000 in cash

The GSCA Nationals fees maybe "almost" as expensive but atleast you get something for your money besides grief!! You can actually get close to the action. Not 50 yards away from the track in gravel where you honestly cant see sh*t!:mad:

you can do the math here http://www.gsnationals.com/EarlyRegForm10.pdf .. if you did not pre-register before March ($30 if before March) you had to pay a $50 registration fee...if not a member and additional $30 non member fee...thats $80 just to get in the gate before you buy a spectator or race ticket....

and you knew about the safety issue after your ranting last year....

you can do the math here http://www.gsnationals.com/EarlyRegForm10.pdf .. if you did not pre-register before March ($30 if before March) you had to pay a $50 registration fee...if not a member and additional $30 non member fee...thats $80 just to get in the gate before you buy a spectator or race ticket....

and you knew about the safety issue after your ranting last year....

Wow I missed the new pricing. Looks like I was the only one. I looked and looked and didnt see anywhere the BPG posted anything about NTRs strict rules so newer people know not to show up with a car that runs 11.50s or better and no cage, or laptops, or exc, exc. ill keep looking though.

your also right about that impressive schedule NTR has.. wow looks just like Norwalk or 66:rolleyes:

ok so the spectators can pay to cover the larger payouts. gotta love that.

yeah I knew about the safety bs last year Sean. Thats why we quit coming out to this event. The BPG doesnt care so its all good. Your race your rules. NTRs track, there rules we know. The problem is the new people dont and then get pissed off when they get there and find it out because they were uninformed!!! Then there wondering why theres not hardly anybody there.:confused:

Just keep watching the attendance drop thats all Im saying.

NTR is owned by the NHRA so strict safety rules enforcement are not surprising. We attended the event the past 2 years and had a great time and plan on coming next year.

The in-track NTR food vendors are a rip off - not unlike food prices at movie theaters - but at least they are there if people choose to use them. We go to the Kroger in Hebron right down the road and bring our food and drinks. To put things in perspective, when I take my family to a Cubs game we spend $500 and get nothing in return except a heartache :(

We typically buy our parts online and get them delivered to us usually in about 2 days so I can understand why many vendors don't want to go through the hassle of displaying products at any event anywhere. Unless they have something new or unique to showcase, like Scot and his JaxWax, it would not be practical for them to come to any event unless they expect thousands to attend.

I think it's great that we have a forum where folks can express their honest opinions and hopefully they can be considered for future events and I hope we continue to have many Buick events like the BPG to enjoy in the future.

Paul

yep attendance is dropping..:rolleyes: have to make the majority happy not the few that want to whine...tell you what...go to BPG site and voice your concerns and see what they have to say...only complaints we have heard are from a few here...99.9999% of those that attended had a great time....you cannot please everyone...so move on and do not attend as you did not this year or last year...:wink::smile: do not confuse the smile as an antagonizing you like you did last year...tell you what...next year I will give you a free spectator pass and we can talk in person...and no that is not a threat..just an offer to talk...

About the safety thing...

You should probably expect that at all tracks...it shouldn't have to be spelled out. It's for you, the racer. A lot can happen going down the track...it's best to be prepared.

Anyways, in the heads up class (THS to be exact), there were a few cars that ran faster than the 11.49 w/o a bar on Sunday, and as far as I know, nothing was said to them.

Wow I missed the new pricing. Looks like I was the only one. I looked and looked and didnt see anywhere the BPG posted anything about NTRs strict rules so newer people know not to show up with a car that runs 11.50s or better and no cage, or laptops, or exc, exc. ill keep looking though.

your also right about that impressive schedule NTR has.. wow looks just like Norwalk or 66:rolleyes:

ok so the spectators can pay to cover the larger payouts. gotta love that.

yeah I knew about the safety bs last year Sean. Thats why we quit coming out to this event. The BPG doesnt care so its all good. Your race your rules. NTRs track, there rules we know. The problem is the new people dont and then get pissed off when they get there and find it out because they were uninformed!!! Then there wondering why theres not hardly anybody there.:confused:

Just keep watching the attendance drop thats all Im saying.

Dude WTF...If I go to the track and don't have all my safety equipment (which I don't) then I KNOW it's a gamble and when they tell me to slow down or go home then oh well, that's the chance I took...This is not the BPG or Sean's fault.

Bottom line is if you can do better for cheaper then do it, if you do a good job I'll come...Doubt it though seems like you'd rather bitch.

Wow;) Well as a person who is a diehard supporter for Buick events, I guess I was thinking I would see this post eventually. Im not a weekend racer nor a guy who races brackets all year long. I own street driven cars that run in the 12s/11s in street trim and i like to cruise them and get in stop light battles. But I am a person who supports Buick events day in and day out (BPG was a last minute ordeal and bought tickets to fly in 2300 miles from Las Vegas a mere 48 hours before the opening day). Attendance is dropping everywhere b/c the economy is horrible. But as enthusiasts we better take advantage of all the events. This year's BPG focus was the Stage 1 Reunion and Marco and Brad and Duane did a terrific job running it. The 70 or so Stage 1s crossed the gamut of quality from drivers to survivors to concourse quality. The GS crowd is big in restorations. The turbo crowd focuses more on racing and showing, or rather doing both all the time. Im hoping to make this point next year for the T party by encompassing a show to obviously highlight the particular specialty turbo cars as well as a race to honor them as well. More on that coming up really soon!

The BPG I feel has gotten a feeling from the turbo 6 crowd that they are more aligned with v8s. This coming year I will try and squash that notion. I have run by some ideas to people I consider to be loyal to the turbo car scene as well as people who will definitely help sponsor the T party. Its my goal to make it the largest reunion of Turbo cars since the old days of GS Nats in the early 90s when it would be a sea of black and 800-1000k cars cross through the gate. I am a realist and realize some people just prefer to keep their cars in the garage and not drive them (my father:D). And I also realize the days of having massive events due to the age of a lot of the owners and traveling and expenses are taking its toll on attendance and it just wont happen like the old days. But I realized the turbo crowd wants bang for their buck. They like to take their cars out on avenue and cruise them, take them to car shows and run mid 11s in street trim. That is what makes our cars so great. Sleeper approach in running low 11s and drive it on the street with full use of power options. Buicks do it better than anyone else in this category: full weight with all power options and kicking butt on the track. Our cars are too nice quite often and too valuable to cut up and build race cars. Some people do it and thats fine, I marvel at them, no joke! But for the vast majority of owners, owning a quick street car (say anything in the 12s or 11s) is the common ground that most turbo regal owners have with one another. Minor bolt ons and that is it. I will try my best to appeal to both the show crowd as well as the show/race crowd who not only wants their car to be highlighted in the show but wants to run their car down the track against other turbo cars in a heads up style format with the relatively same modifications. More on this coming up soon!

Now since I decided to give back to the turbo buick community b/c i have met so many great people, I will undertake a principal role in the T Party which will promote the Turbo T, T-Type, TTA and Turbo Limited at 2011 BPG Nats. I have already contacted almost a dozen vendors about participating in event sponsorship and also have some great ideas about running the show and maybe even some special race classes to honor these cars and their owners. As far as racing goes, I am not a racer, i prefer stop light battles!:D But im taking notes as to the issues and will discuss with Sean a way on how to handle this and have more cars attend. The "liability on each person with their car" sounds great but will NTR buy it? Clint's idea works well and I honestly feel that more people would show up if the track is not so stringent. I own 2 low mileage mostly original with bolt on parts turbo regals. The GN was almost 19,100 brand new and heavily optioned and the Limited is the same way. No way will cut it up with a roll bar or cage. The cars are too nice for me to do it and plain and simple they are getting up there in value where I refuse to do it! Many people already since I have posted on the boards and Facebook about the T party said they would show up if the following happened: 1. Less stringent race rules and teching. 2. Reduced racer fees. 3. More vendors. The vendors issue I am working on as we speak and i have thought of some ideas to relieve the burden of finances on the people who bring their cars to show race or spectate especially families (since this is a family driven event) i.e. such as minimums for race classes to put the burden on the club and the vendor wont have to pay if minimums arent met. I have gotten emails from numerous people who say they kept their cars home this year b/c of the gate fees, safety teching, and lack of vendors. I am going to try like hell to fix these issues and I realize not everyone will be happy. I saw first hand how hard Sean worked at the event to make sure people were satisfied and happy and he still doesnt get enough credit for what a great job he did b/c people always focus on the negative. Sure it sucks they are hard on tech and sure your car runs 10.0s and you dont want to detune it to run 11.50 but im trying to make up some classes you can run in, bring your car , race and show it and not bring it hundreds of miles to sit in a trailer all weekend doing nothing. I understand that type of frustration just listening on the phone talking with people the last few days and I feel just as aggravated as they do about the whole situation. I will do everything in my power to make people's wishes or desires followed through but if i dont know your complaint i cant fix it. so email me at trose231@hotmail.com or pm me on this board or call me at 216.470.8844 anytime and ill return your call asap. Ill be plugging away with emails and phone calls these next few days and trying to solidify some committed sponsors and ideas for race/show classes to get people to attend. I really want to make this an awesome time for the turbo people b/c i am such a diehard and live and breathe these cars and i want the owners of these cars to feel when all is said and done that they had a great time, got bang for their buck and feel proud to own these cars b/c we honored them well.

Be thankful for these events. I lived in Cleveland Ohio and grew up going to BG and loved it. I now have to fly 2300 miles to enjoy anything Buick and that is anytime I want to go to Columbus, or BG, or Norwalk and then add on more miles if I go further east or south (Cecil County or Reynolds). The car hobby despite how great the weather is year round on the west coast can not compete with the midwest and south and east coast and never will. Point is I love these cars, i love talking with people like Jim (phillyturbosix) who i consider a great friend and a pleasure getting to see him once a year. Ive made great friendships and enjoy talking to these fellow "turbo nuts" like myself as well and to be that is the best part about our hobby. Car nuts can never know one another and instantly fall into a conversation about a particular car. Look at turbo regals. 25 years later the following is still great, small sure but we all love the "sleeper" appeal of our turbo cars and the fact that most people still dont know what our cars are about and what they can do on the street or the track! Cherish these events, support them, make new friends and enjoy it. B/c sooner or later you wont be able to and will wonder back with the one phrase no one likes to say.. "I wish I would have gone." Like Quick's father stated its time to grow up. Do what you want to with your car but enjoy it b/c it wont be like this forever. Come to the events, support them and enjoy them. I will try my absolute 100 percent to try and get these major issues fixed and also provide a show that turbo people will want to attend and feel they are getting not only recognized for their cars but also that they feel they are having fun at a good price and not getting hosed. Any questions complaints or input send it my way. i look forward to it all!;)

I am one of the people involved in hosting the T Party next year and for those who attended this year i want your input on a few topics i see being brought up countless times again! Please vote and say what were you issues with this years program. Constructive criticism please!:D