vehicle speed sensor

dognut

Hello to all. Getting ready to do an instrument cluster mod.What does the vehicle speed sensor thats on the back of the speedo do? I have read that it controls the cruise control which I can do without.Someone said without it the trany wont shift into overdrive.I am trying to not have to use it.Thanks,tom

Not sure if this helps in your situation but mines went bad on my 91 Caprice and the car would stall a lot of times whenever I would be in stop and go traffic or if like I was at a real slow speed (idling) and were not on either the gas or breaks. Replaced it and car ran fine. But like I said I'm not sure if it would be the same in your case. Also if I remember correct I want to say it was down by the trans.

vss

It informs the ecm of vehicle speed in order to lock or unlock the torque converter

It does cruz ,converter lockup, Highway fuel mode, and in the chip there are also some built in knock ignore programs for things like burst Knock retard that needs the VSS signal, It will stay in low gear timing all the time, fan shut-off your fans will always stay on even at high speed at set temp. I think there are a few other things but these are the main ones. Maybe you can get a chip burnt to work around them.