VDO Speedo Installation

captndave737

I have an old (15 yrs.) Cockpit series mechanical speedometer that recently failed. I would like to replace it with a new electronic programmable one; VDO437053.

I have a 1987 Buick GN which needs VSS info for the ECM and I Have cruise control. Does anyone know what senders, adapters etc. I need? I can’t seem to find this info anywhere.

Thanks,
Dave :confused:

VDO Speedometer.

I am in the process of building a GNX dash, but using the VDO Cockpit series gauges.
What I have found out is this so far:

Since you have cruise, you will need a pass-through sender, which attaches at the trans, and provides the cable feed for your cruise cable. The adaptor is a hall-effect sender, and "pulses" at 16 pulses per cable revolution. The Buick ECM VSS requires a 2 pulse per cable revolution, so you need an converter. Casper's Electronics sells both on this webpage:

CEI - Casper's Electronics, Inc.

The parts are 10246 and 10249, at $82 and $83 each.

The senders are available at other vendors, and I am still researching the VSS converter to see if there are other options...
I will likely go with Casper's as they are a big supporter of our TR's... unless there is a substantially better deal out there. This dash project is costing me a small fortune!!!

I went through the same ordeal. I haven't found any other vendors that sell the Pulse converter,but Jegs and Summit sell the VSS cheaper.

Thanks. I have a GNX replica dash that was produced by AVC (advanced Vehicle Concepts) long out of business now. The cost for the kit was a little over $600 years ago when I changed over years ago.

I believe I have the answer to you electrical speedo problem. I had the exact same problem as you about 2 years ago. My old mechanical vdo gauge crapped out on me and so i bought an electrical one same one as you. It took me almost a year to finally figure out how to connect everything and make it work correctly. So here is my suggestion to you I hope this will help. First off, I tried caspers vss sender and converter parts number 102046 and 102045. After rechecking and then checking again all my wiring I could not get the combo to send out the vss signal to the ecm and vdo gauge. To my surprise because I know casper makes great products but it just wouldnt work correctly for my setup. So now after trolling site after site I decided to try dakota digital's products and had finally got the correct signal to my ecm and vdo gauge it worked like a charm.Universal Speedometer Signal Interface and Speedometer 8K Pulse Generator you'll want the SEN-01-1 model. I followed the diagrams from caspers. You must tap into the brown wire pin A10 from the ecm also 12 volt ign and ground to make it all work. For the cruise control I used caspers tach amplifier model 102007 just follow his instructions. Thats about it if you have any specific questions shoot me a pm good luck.

How exactly did it break? Those speedometers are VERY hard to come by. They are not in production anymore. North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock Company. Serving your gauge needs since 1955. VDO, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Veigel, Veglia can probably fix it better than new. I just think that the mechanical look fits our cars so much better than the digital/lcd screened electrical one.

Hey, if you are going to throw the old one away, I'll pay for shipping and handling to send it to me :biggrin:

I think it's because the nut that holds the movement in the case on the back came loose and the reluctor ring made physical contact. Lots of things got chewed up inside. I trashed it before i got your reply.