Valvetrain upgrades....help me out...

TARZAN

Half ass, on kill
Ok guys, I've used the search feature, but I just wanted to post a thread and get some collective opinions here...:)

I'm getting ready to give my GN a lil TLC inside and out. I put a TE44 on it a lil while back, which was a nice upgrade from stock and all....but.....its time to do a lil more:D

Plans are a 60ish turbo, ported stock heads, matched stock intake, upgraded valvetrain, and a freshened up shortblock. I'm not shooting for anything extraordinary, just hoping to make my GN run like one is supposed to.

Main thing I'm looking for opinions on is the valvetrain, I'm only going for low 11's/high 10's, so I really don't want anything thats gonna hurt the driveability or pocket book *too* bad. Whats cam/valvetrain combo would you suggest?

Thanks,

-Will

Ive had excellent luck with austempered roller cams and comp 941 springs. I would go with no more than 210 degrees duration and .500 lift for a low 60's turbo. If you go with a 66 and up or a Q-trim i would go with at least a 210 and no more than 214. You will need a torque converter also. Make sure you have enough fuel to support the added flow potential. I really dont see much need for more than a 206-206 with a stock bottom end.

Ive had excellent luck with austempered roller cams and comp 941 springs. I would go with no more than 210 degrees duration and .500 lift for a low 60's turbo. If you go with a 66 and up or a Q-trim i would go with at least a 210 and no more than 214. You will need a torque converter also. Make sure you have enough fuel to support the added flow potential. I really dont see much need for more than a 206-206 with a stock bottom end.

I've been told to do a roller swap, but was also told that it costs a good bit of $$$, whats the going rate if you don't mind me asking? Like I said, plenty things I'd *like* to do....but I can only do as much as my pocket book will allow ;)

-Will

Id say $700-1000 depending on if you go billet or austempered and titanium retainers etc. You can find great deals on used roller cams on here. It could be done for as little as $650 if you get lucky and find a low mileage used cam and lifters for around $500. You will need to figure out the pushrod length you need and buy pushrods also. I would not use a set of springs that have a lot of run time on them without verifying the pressures on a spring checker.

I just ordered the Revolution X roller cam kit for my Buick from Full Throttle Speed. Havent put it in but I am excited to get the motor back from the machine shop and start to build it with the roller setup. the kit was about 800 plus shipping and comes with Austemper Comp roller cam, roller lifters, reatianers, locks, "beehive" springs, pushrods, and roller cam button. You can also use this kit with the stock rockers with excellant results is what I have heard. There and a couple different grinds you can choose from, I went with the close to stock 206/210 dur. HTH
-Andrew

...something to think about as i have read it a few times here on the boards...replace your stock rocker shaft with a hd or solid beefed up shaft...the stock one is hollow and a weak point...i have a roller cam kit as well and it would be nice to have a roller rocker setup as well but i couldnt justify spending over 500 for it from t&d or harland sharp...so the cheaper alternative but still viable is to get the stronger shaft...they are only about 75 bucks so well worth it ...good luck...noah.

Thanks to both of you, if I did go roller, I REALLY doubt I could come up with the money for roller rockers, but the cam kit seems a lil more within reach than I'd of thought, especially if I would like to redo my heads anyways....and noahzark, I appreciate the info, will definitely have to do that...

-Will

For those guys that are using the kit from full throttle, Is this kit a straight forward bolt on or do the spring seats need to be machined/preload adjusted/etc? Also, are there any other differences between the installation of a roller cam vs. hft like endplay, etc.?

Thanks

The kits arefairly straight forward. One thing you will need to look at though. The front cover has a finger inside it near the cams timing chain area. I have had to take about 0030 to 0040 off of a couple. The end play will need to be setup. Pretty easy but you will need to get it up. Also depending the on rocker arms you will eith need to get adjustable pushrods, get a set the right length or go adjustable rockers.

Hope this helps