valve stem seals

muzz

I am getting ready to change my valvesprings and want to replace the valve stem seals at the same time.All the part listings only show intake seals.Are there any seals for the exhaust valves? I want to have all my parts before I start.Thanks in advance.

I am getting ready to change my valvesprings and want to replace the valve stem seals at the same time.All the part listings only show intake seals.Are there any seals for the exhaust valves? I want to have all my parts before I start.Thanks in advance.

The exhaust side doesn't use seals.

When I did my springs I was advised by Pacemaker 86 to use seals on the exhaust side. Problem is the exhaust valvestems have a groove machined into them. During their downward travel, this groove goes below the valve guide, and the seal gets pulled down as the groove passes it, chewing it up. Maybe Pacemaker has different valvestems than I do.

stock heads do not have seals on the exhaust but if they have been worked on and have bigger valves installed then they will require an exhaust valve seal.

When I did my springs I was advised by Pacemaker 86 to use seals on the exhaust side. Problem is the exhaust valvestems have a groove machined into them. During their downward travel, this groove goes below the valve guide, and the seal gets pulled down as the groove passes it, chewing it up. Maybe Pacemaker has different valvestems than I do.

there is a plastic tube that comes with the vales seals , that you slide over the valve stem and then put the seals on, then remove the tube.. "this keeps the seals from getting chewed up"

I have fixed several smoking turbo buicks by putting valve seals on ALL the valves. When i was a tech at GM, we had trucks come in for smoking " they also didnt have seals on the exhaust, and we were told by GM to install seals on them, and the smoking quit "

Stock exhaust valve stems have an undercut area on then which specifically prevent the use of seals in the current configuration. You will either have to cut the guide down, or change exahust valves.

Stock exhaust valve stems have an undercut area on then which specifically prevent the use of seals in the current configuration. You will either have to cut the guide down, or change exahust valves.

You MUST replace all the exhaust valves (with aftermarket smooth stem or stock TTA exhaust valves) if you plan on using seals. The undercut on the stock stems will not allow ANY seal to function. Also, if you cut the guides down more than .050" then you also must replace the exh. valves or it WILL smoke.

?

Would anyone know fo where to get TTA valves? Or what is a good aftermarket type?
So stay away from machine shop saying they can cut guiedes down to accept seals, right.

Ferrea make a bigger exhaust and intake valve but they're pricy. I got lucky and found a set on evilbay and have less than $50 in the whole set and they're new. No groove on the exhaust. As far as the TTA valves check fullthrottle or the local parts store. 89-91 Trans Am with the turbo motor.

I cut mine down to run exh seals and didn't have any problems, but everyones experience may not be the same.