Valve springs

Buickforlife

Tyler Northcutt
Anybody got any suggestions for doing these? My stock ones have some covers over the springs, and I can't get the valve spring remover on the springs! Didn't know if I should just try and get the cover off of the springs. And the passenger side back cylinder looks like it is going to be tough, don't know if I can even get the removal tool onto the spring! Any suggestions?

I was going to recommend getting the valve spring removal tool from Kirban's to make this job a lot more tolerable but I see they no longer offer it. You can make your own out of an old rocker shaft, and old rocker arm, a piece of 1/2" ID steel tubing and a piece of 1/2" steel round rod bent in an "L" on one end and bent 45 degrees on the other end (if I remember correctly anyways). I'd take a pic of mine but I'm out of town for the next couple of days. I'm someone here has a pic of one if not I'll take some when I get home. The tool works very well but even with it #6 is a bitch.

Take a look at the fabrication section. A very good thread on how to make one that works.

Jegs or Summit has the air tool to screw into the spark plug hole then to the air compressor end. About $10.