valve springs, locks and retainers

bogies87

I have a Comp Cams 210/210 roller cam I am installing. I also have the 918 valve springs, 787 retainers and 648 locks. I am using stock rocker shafts and rocker arms.
The question is as i was reading Full Throttle's website, they suggest the 918 springs, 795 retainers and 614 locks. Is this going to make any difference?
Comp suggest the 787 and 648 with the 918 springs. The difference i am seeing is 7* vs 10* and the 614 locks are +.050.
Am i going to have trouble with what i have?

You'll be compressing the spring .050" more than the normal starting point and eliminating .050" of retainer/guide clearance and might put the spring into coil bind depending on your cam lift.

If you can't measure retainer clearance, coil bind, installed poundage, spring rate, and over the nose poundage, I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks Earl. I miss spoke about the springs. After checking their site, the springs they sell in the kit are not 918. Not sure what they are?
The 918 recommend the retainers and locks i bought.
Their kit does have the 10* retainers and +.050 locks.

ok I finally figured out the whole valve spring/ valve lock. The springs Full Throttle sell in their kit are PAC springs with a 1.8 install height. Full Throttle suggest using the .050 positive lock with these springs. The Comp 918 spring have an installed height of 1.8 with the correct locks. Since the installed height is the same on both springs can I just buy Crane Cams 7* +.050 locks (part number 99095-1) and achieve the same outcome?

theoretically, yes. The rated install height on our heads are 1.727". Sink the seats a little, throw in a valve job and add .050" with a set of locks and mathematically you're around 1.800".

The only way to know for sure is to put a valve in the head with a retainer and locks then see what the installed height is. If you're got new seats sticking into the combustion chamber and new valves the installed height will be shorter.... If you're seats are beat into the head and the valves are almost out of margin, they're going to be tall and need shims (and the tips will have to get the hell topped out of them).

I can say on my personal heads, I have pac beehives, retainers and +050" locks from full throttle and they went in just fine. I think they were 125~130 seat pressure.

I went ahead and installed what i had. My reasoning is, I was trying to duplicate Full Throttles roller cam kit so I could use their 8.225 pushrods. I am going to do it the right way and measure to get the correct pushrods. I know, should have never crossed my mind to do it any different. I wasnt trying to shortcut just hate making multiple orders for parts.

I was thinking full throttle didn't send pushrods with their kits for that very reason? There are many different ways to cause a change in pushrod length. Valve tip height, deck height, head gasket thickness, head material, rocker shaft height, rockers, lifter brand, cam base circle, etc...

There's a good chance those lifters aren't right. I would DEFIANTLY check lifter preload before fireing the engine up. For example my pushrods are 7.950" with a FT cam and morel lifters.

The kit for Morels show a 8.050 pushrod... big difference. And you are correct, they dont ship the pushrod with the kit. Their website shows the 8.225 being correct for Comp lifters and iron heads. Thats where i was getting my info.
Yes i will definitly be checking pushrod length prior to firing.
What exactly do you mean by my lifters may not be correct?