valve springs for street solid roller?

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
I am posting this as i private messaged a few people on here with no response. I am installiing a comp cams extreme street roller with 224 duration and 575 lift. It is considered a street roller profile with .014 to .018 lash. I do not have any spring specs from this cam.

The car will be mostly driven on the street and i would say will not exceed 6500 rpm, and it will be idling for hours on the street, as traffic here is brutal sometimes. I do not want excessive roller lifter wear in a short period of time.
WHAt is a guideline for seat pressure and open pressures? I am looking for spring 1.460 diameter with about 1.8 installed height. I have some cranne 99893 springs here and i have been looking at some k-motion k-800's, but not sure if they would work

Thanks for your input.

norb

I used the K-800's on my 266 duration, .610 lift solid roller...probably a little overkill, but no problems to 7000 rpm on 8445 heads. T&D and Harland Sharp rockers both will require clearancing, and pushrods will need a 210 degree tip. Hope this helps

Roller Springs

Norbs.
I have used the K 800 on iron heads with a 224-224 roller cam and Comp 818 solid lifters, work fine are NOT over kill IMO. I have used both the K800 and the Crane 99893 spring on hyd roller 206, 220 and 224 Hyd roller cams.
The latest H&S rockers that I installed are cleared for a 1.46" spring and retainer, the T&D's need clearing, am sure you already know that but threw in it for others on here.
On the bench the K800 will yeild better pressures than the Crane spring and would be my preference. Good Luck.

9sec.

Thanks, for the info, i did a search on here and this is what i found? From Turbo TR

I'm having a problem with the rpm just flatlining at exactly 6770 at wot, both at the track and on the chassis dyno recently. Interesting :) So it might be springs I guess. Or? I have a 224 solid roller, Comp extreme street profile. The springs are unknown brand from Competition Products. 1.5" dia and spec at about 220 lbs seat, 530 or so over the nose. I think we need to go with a name brand 1.55" dia, something like 270+ seat, 5-6xx open. Anyone else run into this??

And from Bill Anderson:

If it is turbocharged you are way light on the open pres for a solid roller

Again from TUrbo TR:

So it looks like we can get what we need I think, a 1.80" installed height, about 260 lbs seat pressure, about 660 lbs open pressure with .627" lift, and still have 0.080" coilbind margin

I don't want to run 260 seat and 660 open pressure , how many minutes will the lifters and valveds guides last??????

Todd was using Champion AL heads so his valves would have been heavier that the 8445 valves. I see no way you can use a stiff 1.55" spring on the iron heads because of the rocker arm strength after they have been ground to clear that big of spring. FYI the spring he was using ( I used the same one at one time on the Chapion Al heads) was Competition Products #98541 (190@1.85" and 460@ 1.250 coil binds at 1.060") It's a 1.500" spring. We both did upgrade to a 1.55" spring on the AL heads.
I went 9.7's at 140 with the Stg1 iron heads on my 276" motor( 224 hyd roller with soild lifters gaped at .010") with the K800
if I remember correctly the trap RPM was 6300-6400 range (3.42's 29" rubber, turbo 400 with a 9"AC I only ran the combo a couple of weekends so I don't know how long the springs would have held up.

9sec.

Interesting, but i forgot to mention i will be using this cam with the TA alum SI heads, so should i still stick with the k800's?

If you can handle a 1.55" spring then by all means that's what to use, they will last much longer. You could us the K 900. The cheaper K 1100 would work for a while but I thing the 900 would last long, it should it's twice the money. ( from Summit)
lots of 1.55" sprinmgs on the market that would work well in that application.

9sec.

It appears that i am going to be stuck with a 1.750 installed height on these, so what spring would be best now?

I haven't had my hands on a set of these new TA heads so I don't know just what you have to work with. If your going to use a 1.55" spring then the spring cup needed on AL heads will be 1.680" in dia, will the head except this size cup with out machine work :confused: I would get a .100"+ retainer to increase my spring heigth, I would also use a lash cap on the valves, this will help get the rocker arm away from the retainer if it's too close. I,ve been down this road with several set of Champions in setting them up for roller cams. There's also the option of +.050"-.060" locks but I like the + retainer option better, just MO.
Nick M should be able to steer you in the right direction with the TA's

9sec.

I am stuck here. I am worried about a few things.........

1st of all a 1.55 diameter spring may not work with the TA rockers as i have the stock rocker style on the SI heads, they might hit the rockers, but not sure . The seat cup diameters are 1.580 so i can't install them without machining. Behive springs are not made to 1.7ish installed height with 165 seat pressure , before going to coil bind at 1.200 or less. SO i am back to the k-800s again.

HOWARDS (competition products) does make a 1.437" dia #98431 that yeilds 200@1.75 seat 390@ 1.250 with coil bind @ 1.150 max lift of .580" , more seat pressure than the K800. Might be worth looking at that if you don't want to machine the spring seats. I don't think the 1.500" spring will seat in your spring cups. I can mail you one of the 1.500" springs if you want to try it for fit :) no charge of course :)

9sec.

Maybe

On my TA heads I am using Crane--96870
Installed height--1.900
Spring rate of 448
O.D. of 1.460
I.D. of .700
Max. net lift of .686
Dual with a damper
Coil bind--1.154
I installed @ 1.875 =144 closed seat pressure
With .550 lift I am right @ 400 open pressure
I am using a hyd. roller with some shifts @ 6200
Changed convertors to a N/L and will be raising shift points to 64-6500.

Lee. You have considerably more spring heigth that Norbs, did you cut the spring seats down or use a + retainer or locks :confused:
There as a few K800 spring here if you want one for mock up Norbs, maybe you already have them :confused:
TA maybe be using different length valves in the 2 different models of heads :confused: If I remember correctly I think we ran into that with the Champion "R" heads having longer valves that the plain GN1's

9sec.

Lee. Yours sound like the SE model, more along the lines of a race head. Comparable with the Champion "R"

9sec.

Well thanks for suggestions, but i haven't bought any springs yet, just checking what is going to work. The installed height i am checking with a standard height sbc retainer for testing purposes only. Myabe the SE heads do use a longer valve?

I have callled compcams on this, this is a street roller profile .This cam only requires 165-170 seat pressure to 450 open pressure max.

Thanks to those who replied, and i am glad i don't need more! Looks k-800 is the best way to go.