Valve spring dampeners

NC87GN

johnny boost
I was adjusting the preload on my lifters when I noticed I have several valve spring dampeners that are broken. I purchased and installed new valve springs and retainers hoping the problem would go away. Well, to my surprise I am breaking the internal valve spring dampeners again. The cam is a mild roller cam from ATR 208/208 with stock mild ported 8445 heads. I double checked valve seat height, open and closed, and all are within stock specification. Spring pressure are 125-135# at 1.75". Are there any springs available for the buick that allow you to eliminate the dampeners..? Am I ok to run the current ATR style spring with no dampener? Car seems to run fine but did not want to damage the spring or worse lose a valve. Thanks...

Mike Banas
87GN

Probably caused by the wrong retainer. You shouldn't use a stock GN spring retainer with a chevy style valve spring with an internal flat wire dampner. It is real common to break the dampner inner spring when using the stock retainers. If you are not experiencing spring surge with no dampners, then you are fine. Spring surge will feel like valve float at a certain RPM, not always at high RPM. If you feel the car fall on its face at a certain RPM, then it is spring surge which is basically the spring becoming nearly solid. Many times you can drive through a surge condition and it'll keep pulling. The dampners are there for a reason, though. They reduce the spring harmonics. Read up on it on the web. There is a ton of real interesting info on how they design valve springs and why for example the the bee-hive springs do not have or need a dampner. There is ALOT more to valve springs than just snapping the valves closed.

I had the same problem with that same cam years ago...broke the end off of every damper. Go to a beehive spring.

I had the same problem with that same cam years ago...broke the end off of every damper. Go to a beehive spring.

Do you know where to buy the correct behive springs and retainers? I think I run an 8-10 degree lock as well. They are stock heads with a mild port job.

Do you know where to buy the correct behive springs and retainers? I think I run an 8-10 degree lock as well. They are stock heads with a mild port job.
Mike at full throttle should have them in stock. I just setup a set if heads for use with one if his cams and it came with conical springs and I was easily able to get the pressures I wanted.