Valve Retainers?

DWB47

I'm getting ready to order valve springs and was wondering if I should go ahead and get new retainers and locks. I have a lunati cam pn# 32508. I'm ordering the springs and lifters that lunati's website recommends for this cam. At the risk of sounding cheap, should I go ahead and spend the extra $60 for retainers and locks or just use the old ones?

For springs, use Comp 980-12. The springs Lunati recommends are probably too stiff. Stock locks and retainers are fine.

For springs, use Comp 980-12. The springs Lunati recommends are probably too stiff. Stock locks and retainers are fine.

So I should use the comp springs even though Lunati recommends 73943? What should I tell the machine shop to set the spring pressure at? Any recommendations on lifters?

The specs for the Lunati 73943 springs is 462lbs, the comp 9801 springs are 308lbs. Please forgive me if I'm being ignorant but that is a substantial difference. Why would I want to use lighter springs then recommended by the cam manufacturer?

The specs for the Lunati 73943 springs is 462lbs, the comp 9801 springs are 308lbs. Please forgive me if I'm being ignorant but that is a substantial difference. Why would I want to use lighter springs then recommended by the cam manufacturer?

Because the cam manufacturer is in the business for profit and wants you to "spend", while we are "non profit members" trying to help you "save".
With the heavy springs, will most likely wipe the cam after/at/during start-up.

Because the cam manufacturer is in the business for profit and wants you to "spend", while we are "non profit members" trying to help you "save".
With the heavy springs, will most likely wipe the cam after/at/during start-up.

I reread my post and realized I may have came off wrong. I wasn't trying to discount forcefed3.8's recommendation, I was just trying to understand why? I spent some time on the comp cams website last night, and found that all the comp cams that had similar specs to the Lunati that I have recommend the 980 springs. So two different cam manufactures with two very similar cams recommend very different springs. Perhaps Comp knows a bit more about these cars than lunati does. So I'm going to trust your opinions and go with the 980's. Do you have any advice on lifters, I was going to order the lunatis. Thanks again for the advice.

You have to remember that the guys here "have been there, done that" and have had issues with flat tappet cams. The 980's are the ones that seem to work the best and keep from wiping the cam better than what Lunati is recomending to you. Wichever springs you choose to use make sure to get some ZddP for the oil and you should be good.

I went to order the comp 980 springs tonight and noticed that they have a max lift of .450. These specs are Jegs but there is no reference to it on comps website. The cam I have (lunati 32508) has .456 lift on the intake with a 1.55 rocker ratio. Does .006 really matter? I know thats alot if your talking about bearings but not so sure on this. I apologize in advance if this is an ignorant question, I just wan't to put this motor together once and not have to mess with it for a while. Thanks

Ok, I feel dumb, I answered my own question. Comp recommends the 980 springs for cams up to .469 lift, which is much more than my cam. I should have done my homework before posting. Thanks again to those who offered advice.