valve oil seals

rob86gn

Anyone replace seals before? Is it necessary to have oil seals on the exhaust valves? Car did not have them on there when I took it apart. It did blow smoke, I was replacing the springs...

I don't think you have to have seals on the exhaust. The valve guides could be wore and that could cause it to smoke too. When I had my engine rebuilt I didn't have exhaust valve seals either. They never put them in from the factory. But when I had my heads done the exhaust valve guides are taller than the intakes and had to be machined down to accept the seals. So if you want to put valve seals on the exhaust side I'm pretty sure you must have the guides cut down to the height of the intakes to accept the seals.

I meant to say it didn't blow smoke, sorry. Thanks for the reply I just wasn'
t sure if there were supposed to be seals on the exhaust side. :)

my clearances were good on my exhaust side and it smoked like a son of a b everytime i started it even warmed up when i blew a head gasket i looked at my combustion chamber and u can see the oil running out of the valve had guides cut and installed seals on exhaust side and smoke is gone. people always say that the exhaust side is pressurized and the oil cant get down but in reality when the motor is running and the gasses are leaving the exhaust from the cylinder walls it is creating a vortex and can suck oil when the valve is returning up