Valve Guides

cmokem

What are the symtoms of worn valve guides...I know that they will cause a bit of smoke out the pipes...but when...is it all the time or only on start up. Is there is simple test to determine if the guides are shot

TIA

Bob

It can also smoke on high vacuum deceleration. (like when you are cruising on the highway and you take your foot off the throttle and downshift to force engine braking.)

This one I know!!

Hey how are you doing??

Toanswer you question, usually at start up, which is when there is the most vacumn. Some times when you let off the gas.

It will look like a puff of blue smoke.
Which is why when you re-do heads, it's very smart to re-do the seals. So E=me when you can..

How many mileage one motor? You can also check the color of your plugs to geet an idea of how bad or good it is.
Normal color I wouldn't worry.... HTH'ed

Thanks for the info...this is really weird..on start up no smoke at all..but several minutes into the warm up..just after the cooling fan kicks in I will see some smoke... it lasts for a minute or so then it disappears. If I rev the engine at idle and let off..I may see a tiny wisp but nothing unusual..plugs look good. Would a turbo turbine seal cause this. The up pipe and vac lines are free from oil so I know it isnt the compressor side.

TIA
Bob

My new motor was doing the same thing. I pulled the TE44 off three days ago. There wasn't any oil in the turbine housing when I pulled it off. After the turbo had been on the work bench I noticed the oil running on to the turbine wheel. I installed the T63e and it fixed the problem. I have a bad oil seal on the TE44. It did not smoke until it the turbine housing had warmed up.

I've seen a number of turbos do this, without leaking oil into the compressor side. They'll smoke most heavily under high vacuum after getting into the boost (decel).

I had a borrowed stocker on my car a couple of years ago while my TE-62 was getting rebuilt, and it turned out to be a major smoker. I took the family out to eat and on the way home it just started mosquito fogging. I knew what it was and I needed to get the car home, so I just kept chugging down the road, impenetrable blue cloud rolling behind me. A lady came along beside me, rolled her window down, and started yelling, "Your car's on fire! Your car's on fire!" I gave her my best dead pan look and said, "Yeah, I know"...and kept on rolling. :)