Valve Covers ( I am going in deep and fast)

HighDesert-T

Been awhile since I have posted. Still having problems I believe with the secondaries but that is an issue for another day.

There seems to be a pool of oil building on top of the tranny. As you well know you can't see for squat back there but my question is this, should I go ahead and replace the intake gasket while I am here or just stick with the basics? It appears from the angle I have that the oil is just coming from the covers. Also, will the Turbo have to come off? Last time I broached that subject it was a resounding NO to taking off the turbo. Seems there is no other way to get the driver's side off unless you remove this thing.

I await your sage advice...

My gas mileage is biting the big one as well, 14 mpg avg... yours?

Gas Mileage??? Are you making up words again??? What have we told you about that?

Yeah, we all have to have a dream.

Guess I will dig out the manuals to get this turbo off. It ought to be fun. This is the last time I by a car from a little old lady. :D

You definately have to take the turbo/plenum off. Lots of bit's and stuff, but it's not too bad.

While you have to turbo off, I recommend finding a way to route the wastegate actuator line over, not under the compressor. Change the PCV valve and grommet. Change the oil return grommet.

Did you get that gasket kit from Felpro?

Look at the compressor foot. You'll see a boss where you could drill and tap for 1/8" NPT. Then you can inject water/alcohol/propane, or put a thermocouple there.

Taking the turbo off is not a problem, oil could be coming from the oil return,pvc & the covers. I have oics of removing mine if you need to see what goes where ;) Get the Felpro turbo kit, valve cover gaskets at http://www.autopartsgiant.com they are the cheapest that I have found.

Instead of removing the down pipe, I used the floor jack to move it as high as it would go. But I still had a hard time getting the cover off.

I think the TurboRich got his cover off without removing the turbo :confused:

Jim

Turbo is off. Think most of the oil was coming from the PCV and Valve covers on that side. Everything appears in good shape for an engine with 114,000. The PCV even looks like the one from 83. Don't think it was ever changed. Even though it may look like trash I am going to find away to get that vacuum tree somewhere that I can get to it.

Is there anything I should do/check while it is off?