valve cover gaskets

stock87

Mine are leaking and the Buick Dealer wants to charge 400.00 to change them out. The car has the original valve springs and 34,000 miles. I notice a slight ticking noise coming from the covers; it increases with engine rpm and can hear at highway speeds; to get the gaskets changed how much should it cost? Is it a good time to do the springs with the covers coming off? what $$$ I am looking at? Can rocker arms tick too?

Thanks.

Where are you located---gotta be some close who can help you out-this board is full of help----if you know where to look!!!!

Geoff

For $400 I can fly from NY to San Diego and change your gaskets and still make a profit. It's an easy job for you to do yourself. Look for a local member that can help you and listen to the noise you are talking about.

Please don't tell me they quoted you $400 to change JUST the valve covers!!!

You are looking at $15 in parts and maybe 2 hours if you've never done it before. I can do it in about 30 minutes (just did a set last Friday night).

:mad: :mad:

I second what ULYCYC said. I'll fly out there and change them for you (for free - just put me up for a night). Just last week my buddy flew from DC to San Fran on Jet Blue for $215 round trip!.

-Banning.

It took me about 6 hours to replace my valve springs and I'm mechanically DEclined. You should be able to replace the valve cover gaskets in you garage or driveway in an hour if you don't know what your doing. The wiring harness on the drivers side can be a little tricky.

$400 to change valve cover gaskets is outragous! :eek: any good garage can do it for less than half that. the ticking noise may just be a loose rocker arm(?) you can have a valve lash done when you get the gaskets done, hopefully thats all it will be.