Valve Body ID Numbers

Clay Thompson

Does the number at the end of the painted VB code indicate the year? For example, would a CZF trannie from a 1986 versus a 1987 have a valve body with a code that reads CZ6 and CZ7, respectively?

Are the 1986 & 1987 Monte SS trannies the only "good" ones or is the 1985 a "good' one also?

Originally posted by Clay Thompson
Does the number at the end of the painted VB code indicate the year? For example, would a CZF trannie from a 1986 versus a 1987 have a valve body with a code that reads CZ6 and CZ7, respectively?

Are the 1986 & 1987 Monte SS trannies the only "good" ones or is the 1985 a "good' one also?

First question, answer is no. There is no casting or making that seperates any but the diesel. Period! Even the pink paint stripe is crap. All that ink spot was line id. I have a few aa and og with the pink paint on them. Care to purchase? hehehe

second question, yes they are ok. The difference is ecm controlled lock up or road speed lock up. DO NOT mix up the shift plate, in the ealry vs late , whatever you do.

on the same subject...

Bruce, when you say there's no casting that seperates any, do you mean that all the 200 4r valve bodies share the same casting?

I have what appears to be in white letters BQ 11 on my valve body. I would like to use all the goodies you told me about in my trans, but after some reading, it sounds like the governor "needs to be correct for the BRF" or there will be trouble.

Can my vb be made to be a BRF? I noticed that a vb you offer says something like BRF tuned.

Thanks,

For some stupid reason the casting numbers are all the same. Two port switched is a quick simple clue. That will determine the right track. then there are some more subtelties. Your bq11 is a good one. You will be ok.