Valve adjustment

Black Car

What is the best way or method/procedure of adjusting the valves on M&A alum heads? :confused:
TIA,
Gary

I always get each cylinder top dead center and adjust the valve to what ever Comp Cam give as an adjusment.The adjustment is different for AL heads V/S iron. Don't know whos cam your using but you should go with thier specs.

REG

I know that valves are supposed to be adjusted at operating temperature, but that can be very difficult to do considering that as your working on one set of valves the others are cooling down. What I do is get the valves as close as I can hot and let the engine cool overnight. I then pull a valve cover while it is cold and check the first pair of valves that I had adjusted when hot. Iron block, with aluminum head will be around .004" tighter when cold. So if your target clearance is .020", then with a stone cold engine it would be .016". Each engine will vary, because there are plenty of variables that are at play. The nice thing about this method of cold adjusting is that your not trying to hurry because the engine is cooling on you. I'm not saying this method is better than the standard method of adjusting valves. It works for me.

I know that valves are supposed to be adjusted at operating temperature, but that can be very difficult to do considering that as your working on one set of valves the others are cooling down. What I do is get the valves as close as I can hot and let the engine cool overnight. I then pull a valve cover while it is cold and check the first pair of valves that I had adjusted when hot. Iron block, with aluminum head will be around .004" tighter when cold. So if your target clearance is .020", then with a stone cold engine it would be .016". Each engine will vary, because there are plenty of variables that are at play. The nice thing about this method of cold adjusting is that your not trying to hurry because the engine is cooling on you. I'm not saying this method is better than the standard method of adjusting valves. It works for me.

Donnie,

Somewhere you posted your method of adjusting valves on our stage motors by setting them on two rotations of the motor.

certain valves on #1 TDC and the rest by rotating the engine 360 degrees. I've done a search but just can't seem to find it. Could you point me to it please.

Thanks,

George

Donnie,

Somewhere you posted your method of adjusting valves on our stage motors by setting them on two rotations of the motor.

certain valves on #1 TDC and the rest by rotating the engine 360 degrees. I've done a search but just can't seem to find it. Could you point me to it please.

Thanks,

George
It's scribbled on the lid of the box I keep my valve adjusting tools in. I'll post it again here as soon as I can, unless someone else beats me to it.

Update. Using an aluminum block and heads, the valve adjustment is .006" - .007" tighter when cold.

Today, I'm taking the beast down to the stadium to do some test and tune on it. First time out with the fresh motor. Wish me luck.

I don't remember who sent this one to me. I think it was Don.

Valve Adjustments

When #1 cylinder is at TDC-Intake valve just went closed.
Adjust intake on cylinders 1, 2 & 3
Adjust exhaust on cylinders 1, 5 & 6

When #4 cylinder is at TDC
Adjust intake on 4, 5 & 6
Adjust exhaust on 2, 3 & 4

Gary

Thanks Gary,

That's exactly what I was looking for. It was Don that originally sent it

George

PS THANKS DON !!