Vacuum Lines

Sarah99gxe

Finally got my Turbo
I want to replace all the vacuum lines in my Regal. I guess what I want to know is how many different sizes are in my engine and how much should I get of each size?

Thanks,
Sarah

Boy, I didn't realize either how dumb this question was or how hard to answer it was?

anyone have any clue?

Thanks.

Cruise Control Servo
Large port 9/32"
Small port 7/32"
Vacuum ball 7/32"

Washer Resevoir 8/32"
Washer Nozzles 7/32"

Charcoal Canister
To Tank 10/32"
Solenoid 8/32"

EGR to Solenoid 5/32"
Vacuum to EGR Solenoid/Check Valve for HVAC/Cruise 9/32"

Brake Booster 3/8" (9-9.5mm)

AFR 6.5/32"

Vacuum Block
3 ports 8/32"
1 port 6/32"
1 port 12/32"

PCV 12/32"

Wastegate Y-hose 8/32"

Total Lengths For Car
4mm = 122"
6mm = 147"
8mm = 46.5"

suicide six said:

Not sure why there would be a hose on a hydroboost system, so I presume this is for a 87 TR and not an 83.

Basically hose is cheap. Get a 5' length of each size and you'll have more than enough.

b4black said:
Basically hose is cheap. Get a 5' length of each size and you'll have more than enough.

From GM direct? I was a PepBoys and all their vacuum hose had thicker wall thickness.

Thicker walls won't be a problem unless you are looking for exact matches for the factory hoses. And those had colored skunk stripes.

b4black said:
Thicker walls won't be a problem unless you are looking for exact matches for the factory hoses. And those had colored skunk stripes.

Yes looking for exact match. GM?

Thanks for the info! I know I'm going to get a lot of hose, I just wanted to know what sizes.

vacuum 6 said:
Yes looking for exact match. GM?

You wont get an exact match. Nothing is pre-made for the car and any hose would be ordered in bulk rolls just like the parts store.

Now I have been know to find good sections of hose on cars down at the boneyard. I guess I've been hanging around those Corvette guys to long. Personally I think as long as the hose is all black than nobody really cares. I dare you to find a judge that knows what all of the stripes and numbers that are printed on the hoses mean. The only problem I have with the brand X stuff is that it is made of the wrong materials. They usuaully get rock hard instead of dry rotting like the factory stuff.

suicide six said:
Cruise Control Servo
Large port 9/32"
Small port 7/32"
Vacuum ball 7/32"

Washer Resevoir 8/32"
Washer Nozzles 7/32"

Charcoal Canister
To Tank 10/32"
Solenoid 8/32"

EGR to Solenoid 5/32"
Vacuum to EGR Solenoid/Check Valve for HVAC/Cruise 9/32"

AFR 6.5/32"

Vacuum Block
3 ports 8/32"
1 port 6/32"
1 port 12/32"

PCV 12/32"

Wastegate Y-hose 8/32"

Total Lengths For Car
4mm = 122"
6mm = 147"
8mm = 46.5"

As I started thinking about this more I have another question:

There's approx. 8 different port sizes but 3 hose sizes - how do I know which hose size to fit to the port - just by whichever one fits? I'm guessing that's the case, but I just want to be sure. I've never replaced vacuum lines before.

Thanks.

Okay guys - I'm resurrecting this, please don't kill me :)

Unfortunately, I have not resolved my issue of getting the vacuum lines. I have printed out this post and have taken it to multiple places and the problems I have come into are
a) they do not have any of these and
b) they don't understand this:

How the following sizes are shown: 3/8; 5/32; 6/32; 7/32; 8/32; 9/32; 10/32 & 12/32 and then this is shown:

Total Lengths For Car
4mm = 122"
6mm = 147"
8mm = 46.5"

I think they are as confused as I am when there's 8 sizes shown and then 3 sizes shown under total lengths needed.

Can someone please
a) explain that to me and
b) tell me where I can find these?!

They really do need to be replaced. The car has been sitting for 12 years - the motor is replaced but not up and running. All the vacuum lines on the car are falling apart and every parts house or specialty store (and even the dealer) I go to tell me they can't help me.

I'm lost :(

Sarah

Sometimes you'll run into a brick wall at the parts stores because the easy answer is no. Take a peak under the hood, cut a small piece of the hose off you are looking to replace walk on in to your local Advance or whatever..they should have a section with vaccum hose just size it up and buy it, as long as it's 1)Black 2)some kind of rubber 3) Fits close enough you'll be fine

I just bought generic sizes to replace mine. Hell some of them I had to grease to get over the fittings but it still worked out. The only problems would be too big or WAY to small. Grab some small black zip ties while your there to tie everything in place nice & tight when your done. (so your not blowing them off under crazy boost)