Vacuum brakes

Phase4

Hi,

This may seem like a daft question, but my 87 T here in Scotland has been converted to vacuum brakes.

I just found some (just a little ammount) brake fluid under the plastic reservoir near the front rubber seal between reservois and master cylinder.

Some weeks ago I popped the cap off to check the fluid, but being ignorant about how it came off wrestled with it a little bit.

How resilient are the rubber seals between reservoir and cylinder to 'wrestling' ?

I was wondering if maybe a little fluid leaked past the seal.

Are those rubber grommet seals replacable or do they off leak?

Alternatively, it may be nothing to worry about, but I would appreciate any advice.

All the best
Sandy

They are fairly resilient, but it probably wasn't a good idea to put them to the test like that. ;) They are replaceable, but I'd wait to see if you actually have a problem with them leaking. Was the vacuum kit a new one or a pull from a scrap yard?

Dangnabit.

There is more fluid around the front rubber seal.

Being over here I am unsure what master cylinder it is. Could someone tell me which one it is and what cars it came from ?

And, if the seals are replacable, how easy is it to do and where could they be bought from?

Here is the master cylinder on the car.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I am going to keep an eye on it and see how badly it leaks. Now that I know how to get the cap off, I can't work out quite why I struggled with it so much before. Very annoying to have caused this problem. :mad:

Sandy

Attachments

• Master cylinder.jpg
    Master cylinder.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 180
Looks identical to a Monte CarloSS set up.

Thanks. Any idea where I could just get the reservoir grommets?

I priced a new V8 Regal master cylinder and the cost plus the $75 shipping will make it a very expensive/idiotic mistake on my part.

Two or three grommets would be good, unless I have cracked the reservoir .. damn, any idea where I could just get the reservoir as well?

Any help appreciated.

Sandy

Thanks. Any idea where I could just get the reservoir grommets?

Sandy
I would try Advance Auto or Autozone and tell them what you need and it's for a 1986 Monte CarloSS.

Let us know how it goes.

Scot W.

Sadly, no Auto Zone or Advance or anything like that here in Scotland.

I am on my own here. Everything has to come from the U.S. hence the $75 shipping cost for a $55 master cylinder.

All the best
Sandy

Sadly, no Auto Zone or Advance or anything like that here in Scotland.

I am on my own here. Everything has to come from the U.S. hence the $75 shipping cost for a $55 master cylinder.

All the best
Sandy
Opps I didn't read good enough! lol

I will tell you what I will do for you then, I will go to our local parts store and ask about those seals and if they offer them I will just go ahead and buy them and mail them to you in a normal envelope and let you know the total cost.

How's that sound?

Scot W.

I will tell you what I will do for you then, I will go to our local parts store and ask about those seals and if they offer them I will just go ahead and buy them and mail them to you in a normal envelope and let you know the total cost.

How's that sound?

Scot W.

WAY TO GO SCOTT!! I'm doing the same thing with a guy in Norway. Hope to meet his one of these days. Hope you can get the parts to him at a reasonable price and time.:biggrin:

How's that sound?

Scot W.

Hi Scot,

That sounds great and would be very nice of you.

I think three or probably grommets would be good, just in case I make another mistake. :rolleyes:

Do you think I could swap the grommets with the MC on the car if I sucked the fluid out of it and prised it off?

All the best
Sandy

Hi,

I had left the car for a while and yes, it is still leaking fluid around the front grommet.

Hopefully someone could help find out whether the grommets are available separately and whether, if most of the fluid is drained out of the reservoir, they can be changed without needing to take off the master cylinder?

Just as a matter of interest, what sizes are the front and rear brake pipe fittings on the master cylinder, just in case I need to bench bleed it and make up bleed pipes.

Any help appreciated.

All the best
Sandy

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, Been swamped...

Advance Auto is showing the repair kit as "Discontinued" and the cost was $21.48

They told me a new Master Cylinder costs only $8.00 more at $30.99

This was for a 1986 Monte Carlo SS...

Looks like a new Master cylinder is the way to go...

Scot W.

Thanks very much for checking for me.

I can't get it from Advance, but can from Rockauto. (at a cost though. A new Cardone MC costs $33.79, by the time I get it - pay shipping and duty it is $92 odd).

Ho hum.

Just as a matter of interest, is it worth buying a new Cardone one or a remanufactured one, or going for say ACDELCO or Wagner ?

I will price them here in the UK, but I guess they will be costly.

Thanks again.

BTW, is it best to bench bleed the M/C, and how is best? I se that Cardone sell a bench bleeder that looks like a big syringe. Does that work?