Vacuum brake converts - what did you do about brake line mis-alignment at master cylinder?

Warp6

Mine since '92
What did you do to overcome the brake line mis-alignment at the front port (controls rear brakes).
I have my freshly remanufactured vacuum brakes sitting in the correct position. Just noticed the brake line that goes into the front port needs to go roughly 4" toward the front of the car. What are you guys doing to make that line work? Pull it into position and hope it doesn't kink? It kinda makes me nervous doing that so I figured I'd ask those who have done it. I want it to look good (think show quality) and be able to go back to Powermaster if I ever want to (don't judge me!)
Anyone running a new line down to the proportioning valve?
Pics would be great.
Thanks in advance.

brake lines almost always have a lot of "wiggle room" in them, since they run from a master cylinder mounted on the firewall down to the prop valve mounted on the frame..

When i did mine, i was concerned about it as well. Mine has 3-1/2 coils on that brake line; i took a few measurements as to how far it needed to be bent and tried to spread the entire bend evenly over all the coils. I was very surprised at how little it took to get where it needed to be. Doesn't look bad either; and by doesnt look bad, i mean i could hardly tell a difference. It definitely doesnt resemble a Frankenstein or anything.

Thanks guys. I'll wiggle it a little and see what happens...then I'll go work on my brake lines. Ha! Seriously, thanks for the replies. I'll report back when I get it finished.

You could always buy a set of the correct lines from one of the vendors. Prop valve is mounted in the same position on all G-Bodies. Just buy a set of lines for a vacuum brake equipped G-Body.​

Dan, you were right. The lines flexed very easily and look good. Thanks

Eric, I looked into new lines also. They are very tough to locate online. I imagine if I made some phone calls I could have gotten them. Some new SS ones may be in my future. Thanks for your reply

I don't think they are a supporting vendor, but I believe ClassicTube? has a set for our cars. If I'm not mistaken, there are some supporting vendors that sell the complete set of brake lines to re-do the entire car. It might even be ClassicTube's kit.

Hmmm... Wouldn't that mean they would fit our vacuum conversions then?? Seeing as how the NA cars had a vacuum setup?

Dan, precisely.
Thanks Salvage - wonder if they sell just the lines from the MC to the proportioning valve?

I think if you download or look at the entire catalog the lines are available $$ one piece at a time.

when i did my conversion, i got the lines and prop valve from the same car.

How hard is it to remove the lines from the prop. valve on a daily driven car? Do you wind up rounding the nut even if you use a line wrench?

Install complete. I'm very pleased with the look.

Attachments

• Vac brake 7.JPG
    Vac brake 7.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 122
How hard is it to remove the lines from the prop. valve on a daily driven car? Do you wind up rounding the nut even if you use a line wrench?

If your replacing the line, just cut the line right above the fitting and use a 6 pointed socket to take the fitting off.

If your replacing the line, just cut the line right above the fitting and use a 6 pointed socket to take the fitting off.
Sounds like a plan. I recently bought a master cylinder from the junk yard. The lines were cut off. I handed a wrench to a friend and he got the nuts lose. A socket would have worked better.