Vacuum brake conversion question

Audiowizard

CARE FOR A SMOKE ANYONE?
Staff member
Where would be the best place to install a "T" fitting for my vacuum brake conversion without having to purchase billit aluminum vacuum block on top of plenum?. Would the large vacuum line on passenger side intake work? I just want to make sure before I install it .Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

t'ing into the pcv hose doesnt work as good as having its own supply since the pvc valve acts as a vacuum leak

Hmmm, no flames but I converted yesterday and T'd into the PCV. Seems ok so far. I thought that once you created the vacuum in the canister, the check valve would hold whatever was in there. Strangely, it seems as if I am pulling 1 more inch of vacuum at idle now than before (after installing the T), at least from looking at the gauge yesterday at idle. Good pedal but the range of pedal seems "short". The car stops with just a touch; not grabbing, just less foot pressure needed.

Thanks

I am going to convert next week-end and give the PCV line a try and thank you Red and John for your input on this.

Get a 3/8" metal T and a length of 11/32" vacuum brake hose.
Cut one piece 2" long, the other 4". Put the 2" piece on the T facing the metal line from the vacuum block. the 4" piece goes down to the PCV. You the have the open end of the T facing the rear of the car, where you install the hose to the booster.

Done many of them this way over the years, and all work well.

Red, do not want to offend you just some info I have found. But I have heard this comment for years, to not use the PCV line. So I checked that line with a vac gauge and directly at the block a few inches away. There is no way I could measure any difference on the few cars I tested?

My cars have both type connections, TTA-type block and T fitting, and can feel no difference. Only one I have problems with is my race car's Powermaster soon to be replaced by a manual cyl!

thats cool ...

i havent tested it on my turbo car but on others that i have worked on that have come to me with brakes not up to par have always been more happy after a re routing to a fresh vacuum source.

but your probly right about them on these turbo cars since the source is the same anyway...at the t/b....so i stand corrected.

i cant test it on mine i have no pvc in mine..:)

I appreciate the input and information that you guys provided, the info has been very useful. :)

conversion update!

I converted my "slugmaster" over to vacuum brakes last Sunday and did the line "T" into the PCV line and everything worked great :) The brakes feel so much better and now I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. just a little FYI for anyone interested.