Vacuum Brake Advice Needed!

Old_Man_HyPsi87

Hi All,
I have an opportunity to buy a vacuum brake set up.
It is in a 1984 Regal at a local salvage yard. It is not a T or GN, just a Regal.
I am wanting feedback from you guys.
Is it the right unit?
How will it perform? I am not going to be drag racing much, cruise-ins, shows,
events, etc. And I don't care about show points or whatever, it will not be a trailer queen.
I currently have the powermaster system, but have no idea as to it's condition.
I am just thinking that it would be a good idea to buy this brake system
for low bucks as long as it is not wasted money, so that I can convert at a low cost just in case I have problems with the Power Master Unit.
I think I have read that you need the brake pedal from the donor car. I am not sure of all the parts needed to do the conversion, so please fill me in.

Educate me! Jeff

Hi I swapped an 86 t-type over to vacuum brakes a few years ago using junk yard parts because of the cost of a new power master. You will need the brake pedal and a plastic vacuum T to put in the vacuum line to the pcv valve or use an after market vacuum block with the port for vacuum brakes. I could not tell any difference in stopping with vacuum. There was one big draw back at least for me to the vacuum brakes. With less engine vacuum the A/C vents on the dash would not stay open durring acceleration and the air would blow out on the floor till I let off the gas pedal. I attended a seminar at the GS Nats on repairing the power master and all I needed was a $30.00 part to fix it. Good Luck.

I installed vacuum booster and master cylinder from a normally aspired (no turbo) 87 Regal on my 84GN w/ 87 drivetrain. As indicated above, you need the brake pedal from the NA car as well. You will also need a TTA-type vacuum pod for the additional vacuum port. Great brake system for a street car! My A/C worked perfect before and after the conversion.
Conrad

alphaenvirmgt said:
I installed vacuum booster and master cylinder from a normally aspired (no turbo) 87 Regal on my 84GN w/ 87 drivetrain. As indicated above, you need the brake pedal from the NA car as well. You will also need a TTA-type vacuum pod for the additional vacuum port. Great brake system for a street car! My A/C worked perfect before and after the conversion.
Conrad

I bought a Cardone reman vacuum booster w/mc from Rockauto.com and the vacuum hose adapter from Kirban. I drilled a hole an inch lower on my stock pedal. I have no issues and am quite satisfied with vacuum brakes. I can hold as much boost at the line as I did before. I spent a little more for the reman for safety and the warranty. Can't see buying junkyard parts for brakes.

Sold my old Powermaster and the net cost to convert was ~$200. Should have done it 5 years ago.

Vacume conversion?

I agree with Terry H, go the remanufactored route or new. Your talking about Brakes if your going to do it. Whats a few dollars in this situation.

Came across the receipts for conversion. Less expense than I thought.

Cardone #50-1243 Booster w/master cylinder
Kirban #6797 Vacuum Block
Brake Fluid
Assorted New Vacuum Hoses

$162.87 delivered
$38.90 delivered
~$10.00
~$10.00
-------
$221.77
- 75.00 sold old broken Powermaster
--------
$146.77 total outlay to convert from PM to Vacuum brakes

i got mine from a 87 monte carlo i got the master, booster, lines and porportioning valve. all cost 75.00

Brake pedal?

I hear the welded pin on the pedal is larger in diameter. Can it be ground down to fit the booster? 1 person i asked said yes and another said no. whos right? Gerry17 :confused:

even if you ground it its in the wrong location

to do it it would need to be removed and then relocated and welded , too risky to do since thats the one point that if the pin broke loose you have absolutely no brakes other then quick thinking and hitting the ebrake

go to the junkyard and pull a pedal from another gbody with vac brakes and get the rod too , or put the word out in the parts section im sure someone can come up with one for you cheap (or just call brian weavy)

Hi guys,
I have been so freakin busy at work lately...I just checked in and have read all these replies!
Good point on junkyard brakes, forget about them, the pedal I can get there.
I will go with the aftermarket billet vacuum block for the TTA, if I go this route. Kinda sucks...I just bought a billet vac block without the extra port.
Oh well!
I have a line lock on my car so I assume it will help on the dragstrip (or stoplight!)
I saw a message talking about proportioning valve...I don't need to change that do I? hope not...the can be a bear sometimes :eek:

Im curious, I have an 84 gn, and im hearing about people changing their brakes. What is so special about vacuum brakes, and do the 84's have them?

The 84GN has Hydroboost brake booster...it is a hydraulic unit powered by the power steering pump. Later GN's had an electrically powered booster. zNormally aspired (non-turbo) Regals has vacuum booster. The 1989 Turbo Trans Am came with vacuum booster.
Conrad

ps...Hydroboost developed considerable more brake line pressure than the vacuum booster.

wouldnt i want to stick with this then? and if i switch to the 86 87 setup, will this cause an issue?

fbodlovr said:
wouldnt i want to stick with this then? and if i switch to the 86 87 setup, will this cause an issue?

If you have a functioning hydroboost system, I wouldn't change it. Keep your power steering fluid clean.

The Hydroboost system is a easy modify to the 87 setup.
I have done it myself with help from board members

Terry_H said:
If you have a functioning hydroboost system, I wouldn't change it. Keep your power steering fluid clean.

Oh, its functioning alright. Barely put the brake on, and WHAM youre stopped.