Vacuum Ball

comradburk

While I was going through my engine and replacing some vacuum lines, I noticed, using the mity vac, that my vacuum ball was leaking. Anyways, I unhooked it's vacuum line so it wouldn't leak but I was wondering if I need to replace it or if it's okay to run without it. Everything that's vacuum operated seems to work fine, so I wouldn't imagine it's needed, but I just wanted to make sure...

I assume you are talking about the ball behind the grille in the lower left fender...I believe it provides vacuum reserve for the powermaster braking system. If you have the powermaster, you should seal or replace the ball and be sure the line to the ball is not leaking.

If you do not have the powermaster, just to be safe, I would plug the line to prevent any vacuum leaks. If you trace the line you will see that it runs to a vacuum port located in front of the firewall...so, while I am not technically sure, other vacuum issues could be involved.

I replaced my powermaster with a standard master cylinder setup and made sure I checked the ball for leaks. I too just checked and/or replaced all my vacuum lines. Vacuum leaks on these cars will cause poor scan/tune and driveability isues.

Steve

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, the little ball on the inner left fender. I do have the powermaster system, and I did plug the line that went to the ball (I didn't just rip it off and leave a big leak :biggrin: ) so that's okay, but if it has to do with the brakes, I guess I'll go make a junkyard run and try to find one. Does anyone happen to know if those were on the N/A regals as well or just the gn's??

I think they were available on some other gm g-body cars starting in '86.

I would call the junk yards first and ask them if they know the system...if so, ask if they have any 86 or 87 regals, cutlasses, montes, grand prix with the setup...that will save you wasted trips.

If someone has one, I suggest taking a piece of vacuum hose (and your mity suction device) to check the ball for leaks.

Steve

i just picked one up at the local junk yard. mine came off a camaro, not sure what year, with the 5.0L H.O.

onslow said:
I assume you are talking about the ball behind the grille in the lower left fender...I believe it provides vacuum reserve for the powermaster braking system. If you have the powermaster, you should seal or replace the ball and be sure the line to the ball is not leaking.

Steve
Vacuum reserve for the powermaster?
I don't think so.....
It may be there to store vacuum for your A/C vents under your dash.

eddieoWE4 said:
Vacuum reserve for the powermaster?
I don't think so.....
It may be there to store vacuum for your A/C vents under your dash.

Yes, for the vents and everything else that runs on vacuum (Cruise etc)

Anyone remember vacuum windshield wipers?

I took mine off successfully years ago, the only negative impact for me was cruise control would struggle to maintain speed going up hills. Your AC vents might also temporarily go to the floor when under load.

turbobose13 said:
were can I get a vacuum ball, can't find one any were. Thank you.

Brian Weaver @ Gbodyparts

If he doesn't have one, let me know, I may have a couple down in the barn