vacuum at idle

T-Type Mike

Hey guys, just wondering what our vacuum is supposed to be at idle. Mine seems low at 10 psi, and seems to be a bit harder to spool the ta-49 thats on it. I've got a new EGR soleniod and valve ordered from GM that should be here tomorow. I know my EGR is leaking, ANywhere else you recommend when checking for leaks??? Oh by the way, had my headers and crossover welded up yesterday, 2 cracks on each piece!:eek: Third time this year, guess its time to invest in replacements! Thanks guys, Mike

Thanks for the reply's guys! EGR will be going on today, hopefully that will make the difference. ALl my lines have been gone through, but will check again. Thanks guys, much appreciated, Mike

Just to update... I replaced the EGR valve and gained 2.5 pounds of vacuum for a total of 13lbs at idle in gear, Does this sound better? Thanks guys, Mike

vacum is not measured in PSI but in inches. Vacum can be different at differnt elevations, temperatures, humidity and other mecahnical issues. You can check however if you have a vacume leak. Get a propane torch not lit. Fire up your scan tool and open the torch some. Move around the intake and vaume lines slowly. If the RPM makes any sizeable jumps other than normal you are near the vacum leak. Hope this helps.