Vacuum assist brake question

Guess

87 GN
Is there supposed to be a one-way check valve on the vacuum hose between the vacuum block and brake cylinder assembly? Trying to solve an intermittent squishy brake problem.

Is there supposed to be a one-way check valve on the vacuum hose between the vacuum block and brake cylinder assembly? Trying to solve an intermittent squishy brake problem.

The check valve is on the booster. The plastic fitting on the booster is the check valve. :smile:

I see. I'll check to see if it is working properly. Thanks. The vacuum line looks good. The brakes seem to almost go out at high idle until it warms up or just getting out of boost sometimes.

or just getting out of boost sometimes.

Isn't that one of the complaints about vacuum brakes on a turbocharged Regal? :) I'd wonder about the check valve also since it could be bleeding vacuum out of the reservoir, perhaps even more so under boost.

I have never had any issues in 5 years with a vacuum booster. As long as everything is in good shape you should have no problems.

I'm sure many people have no trouble and I wasn't implying anything. I've read the classic hydroboost vs vacuum vs powermaster debate threads. ;)

This was on the car when I got it and I'm not familiar with the system. That little check valve is the only thing that comes to my mind.