Using a TTA as a driver.

turbows6

What are your opinions about this? I know this topic gets kicked around occasionally, and was wondering what you all think.

I have gone pretty quick with my TTA (low 10's) but have sort of lost interest in going to the track. I hadn't been driving the car very often at all, but I've gotten to the point where I know these cars are/were worth decent money, but I couldn't sell it and get anywhere near the money for a new car, so I said what the hell, it's got virtually no mileage on the motor/transmission why not just drive it?

Anybody here using their TTA and putting many miles on it each year?

I've had mine for 7 years, and have almost always trailered it to the track just so I wouldn't out miles on it. I bought it with 31,500 miles, and it just turned 36,000 this summer. When it comes down to it if I was lucky I could get $15,000 for it right now. Probably less. I think these cars have more of a sentimental value right now than a numerical value. If I had one with 60-70,000 miles or maybe a little more I would probably drive it a lot more often.

Drive it. It is always going to worth at least 15K now, only the ones with less than 1000 miles and museum pieces will bring big money...some day.

Great daily driver and decent on gas, but not good on snow, hopefully you don't have to deal with that.

In 2002 I daily drove my TTA for 2 years in FLA. Most days were exciting to jump into the TTA and some others were not. I was only running like high 11's at the time tho. car had 60k and ended up with 81k
Turn the boost down and Drive it. Dont worry about mileage unless is a spotless low mile queen.
You also get to know the car very well.

I built the motor with a roller cam so I wouldn't have to worry about getting additives or the correct oil. I actually run 5w30 synthetic oil in the winter, and the motor runs drastically smoother than when I used to run straight 30 weight.

The car gets fairly good mileage, around 25mpg highway. My car is fairly nice, but it's modded and high enough mileage (63k miles) that there's no justification for having a trailer queen. When you figure in the dirt cheap insurance and tax bill on the car, it makes up for the 5mpg less than a new car would get.

I have a 4" catback sitting in the garage that I'm actually excited about installing now. I guess I've reached the point where I'm not going to worry about putting mileage on it or driving in the rain occasionally etc. I think having an overly concerned outlook about a car can ultimately make it less fun to own.

In 2002 I daily drove my TTA for 2 years in FLA. Most days were exciting to jump into the TTA and some others were not. I was only running like high 11's at the time tho. car had 60k and ended up with 81k
Turn the boost down and Drive it. Dont worry about mileage unless is a spotless low mile queen.
You also get to know the car very well.

BTW, is the car in your sig new to you?

Yes, I have had many TTA's over the years. From garage queen cloth to beat up high milers. The car in my sig was built and then sat for years. Im planning on racing it this summer...Just getting all the small things buttoned up.

Sounds like it should be capable of running consistent 9's with the motor it's got. Have you driven it yet?

Ya. I have a couple hundred miles on it so far. I think the heads may be the limiting factor, but I am going to test that limit later on. Clean 125mph passes is the first goal.

If the heads are ported I wouldn't be concerned about them being enough of a bottleneck to keep you out of the 9's. They are an improvement over a stock GN head on the exhaust side at least. I'd say you could run 125 with less than 25 pounds of boost.

Drive it. My Syclone now has over 110K miles and I'm using it as my daily-d. I like how the younger generations don't even know what it is. Even a transmission shoo dude thought it was just an S10. Old fart.

I'd guess that a 63 is pretty much maxed out by the time you're running 10.5 unless you have taken a lot of weight out of the car or have a really good chassis and tuning setup. Maybe somebody has gone faster on one, but I'd guess that for us mere mortals that turbo is maxed out. Does it still have a stock intercooler?