using a cap in my install?

bro_d_83

I am putting 2-440 watt amps in my GN, and I am wondering if I'd need to put a cap on it to stop the lights from dimming....the amps are putting out about 300 watts rms, so I dunno if I'd need a cap or not.

With out going into a lengthy response - you NEVER need a cap. they are audio voodoo. If your lights are dimming that bad you need an alternator upgrade.

Depends when the lights are dimming. If it is at idle the LAST thing you want to do is put a HO alternator. All the HO alternator will do at idle is make LESS amperage than the factory C120 alternator. If the lights dimm when the rpms are up then a HO alternator can help while driving (rpms higher than idle). If it were me I would look at the amp grounds. Otherwise get a battery with less internal resistance, like an Optima. They can release current faster than a regular battery. I myself have the factory alternator in all my cars. The TTA has 2 batteries (1 for the stereo) and over 900 watts of real HiFonics power and I get a very slight voltage dip at idle. Dosen't bother me. Anything over idle and there is no drop.