Used engine installation help

6pk2go

I just bought an '85 motor and trans from a wrecked GN. It is supposed to only have 30k on it. It has been sitting as the hoses are all dried up but the paper is still on the valve covers so I believe that the mileage is probably correct. What precautions or changes should I do before installing. I am planning on changing the water pump, oil pump (high volume), front cover gasket and seal. I am swapping the intake from my existing 85 GN (30# injectors and TA33c turbo), Lastly the down pipe, can a muffler shop make me a 2 1/2" pipe utlizing my flanges or who still handles the down pipes for '85s. I have Poston's headers also.

just a suggestion but if it has been sitting that long dont skimp on anything. clean the motor well and check for defects. Is the person/place you got it from reputable or unknown? Have you heard it run? If not you may want to do a partial tear down and check your push rods and things to make sure the engine is "up to par". Just my .02 cents, I would hate to see you get it in the car and have to take it out again b/c something is f'ed up. Hope his helps. Harry

Originally posted by 6pk2go
I just bought an '85 motor and trans from a wrecked GN. It is supposed to only have 30k on it. It has been sitting as the hoses are all dried up but the paper is still on the valve covers so I believe that the mileage is probably correct. What precautions or changes should I do before installing. I am planning on changing the water pump, oil pump (high volume), front cover gasket and seal. I am swapping the intake from my existing 85 GN (30# injectors and TA33c turbo), Lastly the down pipe, can a muffler shop make me a 2 1/2" pipe utlizing my flanges or who still handles the down pipes for '85s. I have Poston's headers also.

ATR's 2.5" stainless downpipe is less than $200 shipped.... when i got mine it was $139 + shipping

screw a muffler shop.. most likely they will NOT have mandrel bending capabilities.