Used Duramax purchase, tips?

03FatBoy

Thinking of purchasing a 05 Chevy Silverado uramax/Allison combo. Not knowing an awful lot (read:little) about diesels, what should I look for? The one I am considering has 72k miles, going to look Saturday.

Thanks!

05 is not the best choice Duramax wise, but still much, much better than any 6.0 Ford Powerstroke. Other than CA and MA emissions trucks 01-early 04 LB7 have no cat and no egr. 04.5-05 LLY have cat and egr and aren't the best choice. Early 06 LLY and 06-07 LBZ have cat and better egr but also the newer 6 speed Allison, improved engine design and electronics and improved engine and tranny cooling. The best bet is 03-04 LB7 or 06-07 LBZ

I wouldn't turn away from any Duramax. I like my LB7 because it has no cat or EGR, but they are prone to injector failure, so I know that will be in my future. The later trucks feel like pigs I am guessing because of the cat. The turbo lag is horrible.

if you get an 06 you get the 6 speed trans, you can't go wrong with a duramax, i had an 04.5 LLY cc/sb and i sold it like an ass, best truck i ever owned, with a programmer, exhaust, cold air intake or the ppe cut out and a lift pump my truck went 13.5's all day long weighing in at 7200lbs, get it you wont regret it one bit, besides you'll get 19-21mpg city driving depending on your right foot

"The best bet is 03-04 LB7". Huh???
As forcefed mentioned>>>Injector failures. It costs approximately $5500 to have this design flaw corrected. It was so bad that GM added more miles and time to the warranty.
The 01 trans was so bad,[flood gate type fluid leaks], they had an assy line type rebuild program to address the hi failure rates and lack of parts.
How do I know this?? I had 1 of them, and had these very same failures.

"Best bet"???

I have an 07 Classic with the LBZ. Completely stock and I love it. pulls anything. the next upgrade will be exhaust and PPE programmer.

"The best bet is 03-04 LB7". Huh???
As forcefed mentioned>>>Injector failures. It costs approximately $5500 to have this design flaw corrected. It was so bad that GM added more miles and time to the warranty.
The 01 trans was so bad,[flood gate type fluid leaks], they had an assy line type rebuild program to address the hi failure rates and lack of parts.
How do I know this?? I had 1 of them, and had these very same failures.

"Best bet"???

Hence, why I said 03-04 is the best bet for an LB7. But thank you for telling us about how bad your 01 was.

??

Hence, why I said 03-04 is the best bet for an LB7. But thank you for telling us about how bad your 01 was.

given the 01 to mid yr 04 were all that design, the fact mine was a 01 is of little consequence..

Thanks for "cluing me in"....:rolleyes:

given the 01 to mid yr 04 were all that design, the fact mine was a 01 is of little consequence..

Thanks for "cluing me in"....:rolleyes:

They weren't unchanged from 01-04. Injectors were improved, and warrantied and there are even better choices now. You stated "the 01 trans was so bad..." and that you had an 01 and "had these very same failures". These are your words not mine. So which is it? You claim the 01s apparently had all the problems. Is the fact yours was an 01 of little consequence or the whole problem? As I said the 03-04 LB7s were the better of the LB7s. There were underhood, electrical, cooling, and interior improvements over the 01-02s. Good luck with your Duramax search 03FatBoy, they're great trucks I've had them in both stick and automatics.

I had a 02 got rid of it when it hit 190k all i changed was 2 batteries. I have an 05 right now with 150k on it and only changed 2 batteries. Best truck you can buy all the years are good.