Use of Silicone Brake Fluid

IawoBill

!awoBill
I am new to GN's, but and was wondering about using silicone brake fluid? I have used it in nearly all of my other cars for years with no issues. I did a search here and just found one link that indicated not to do it. Has anyone here ever tried it? Thanks.

silicone....like breasts? :confused: I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have the stock powermaster.

Silicone fluid is DOT 5 brake fluid. it does not mix with DOT 3 fluid so you would have to clean you entire brake system. I've had good luck with Valvoline's Synthetic DOT3 fluid. I don't know if the DOT 5 fluid is compatible with the Buick's brake system.

David

DavzGN said:
Silicone fluid is DOT 5 brake fluid. it does not mix with DOT 3 fluid so you would have to clean you entire brake system. I've had good luck with Valvoline's Synthetic DOT3 fluid. I don't know if the DOT 5 fluid is compatible with the Buick's brake system.

David
You are correct. It won't mix. I have the issue right now with the clutch on my jeep. I have had to flush/bleed it about 5 times now. That's expensive at $19/qt! :eek: Thank goodness I haven't used the whole thing yet.

I think the Synthetic you mentioned is DOT4. I believe it's what I use myself (haven't had to look at it in a while) and it works soooooooo much better than DOT3. Much higher boiling point. And much cheaper than DOT5.