Use of Nitromethanol

fastdavedk

I have an alcohol injection system and I wonder if anyone knows whether it would be good, bad or indifferent to use nitromethanol, (the stuff used in top fuel and funny car) in my resevoir. Thanks.

I hope you don't mean 100% nitro. That could be bad. Can't say I know of anyone trying that yet. I have been using M3 Meth from VP fuels. That has a small amount of Nitromethane and lubricant for the pump. I got it from work and I just wanted to try it since we had it sitting there for months. I will buy another can of it when I run out.

Nitro

The nitromethane that I have is the type of fuel used for the micro fuel cars that they sell by the gallon. It is not pure nitro; I will check the label tonight to see what the percentage is. And for sure I do not want to send my new motor to the moon; it took four years to build.

I'm guessing you probably need ridiculously high compression in order to make the nitro-methane combustible, that fuel carries oxygen and running it is like running a huge and I mean huge shot of nitrous. For example a dragster might go from 3,000 hp on race gas to over 10,000 hp on nitro-methane.

I have an alcohol injection system and I wonder if anyone knows whether it would be good, bad or indifferent to use nitromethanol, (the stuff used in top fuel and funny car) in my resevoir. Thanks.

I've used the 30% Nitro/meth mix from RC fuel. I only injected it when I had race fuel in the tank. I wouldn't do it again. The car pulled like mad when it injected.

Holy cow, you guys.

I can appreciate the experimentation, but 30%?!!! WoooW!!!

LOL... cool.

I haven't tried it myself. But I do have a bottle of 20% floating around the garage for my little RC truck.

I think the most I might try would be to "spike the punch" by adding a quart or so of 20% to a nearly full alky bottle. Probably wouldn't notice it too much...

That nitro mix costs about $30 a gallon at the hobby shop. Certainly not cheap!

Don't do it!

R/C glow fuel also contains 12-18% oil. The oil will most likely destroy the seals in the alky pump.

R/C glow fuel also contains 12-18% oil. The oil will most likely destroy the seals in the alky pump.

I was gonna post the same exact thing, but you beat me to it.

IDK about oil hurting seals, but the oil R/C fuel contains could certainly foul spark plugs or leave a residue & clog the Alky nozzle.

I think you shadetree chemists better leave the use of volitile blends of fuels to people who know WTF he/she is doing.:cool:

Furthermore, it's NOT Nitromethanol, it's Nitromethane.

Volatile blends of fuel! I love it!

You guys are ANIMALS!!!

A nitro tuner told me once that adding just 5% would not require a change in the tuneup. I haven't got to the point where I want to test his recommendation yet. :biggrin:

After the fuel system upgrade? Hmmm, you guys got me thinking again about VOLATILE FUEL BLENDS! LOL! ANIMALS!!!

It's amazing that more people aren't mixing nitro in with their fuel.
Who says they aren't?
Just a dash would make a noticeable difference. Enough to grab a record, maybe?
Do they test fuels at the class events? Splashing some nitro into an aux alky injection system sounds like an easy fix to me.

I was gonna post the same exact thing, but you beat me to it.

IDK about oil hurting seals, but the oil R/C fuel contains could certainly foul spark plugs or leave a residue & clog the Alky nozzle.

I think you shadetree chemists better leave the use of volitile blends of fuels to people who know WTF he/she is doing.:cool:

Furthermore, it's NOT Nitromethanol, it's Nitromethane.

From what I hear nitromethane is less volatile than gasoline and methanol. For example I read that you can set a match to a cup of it and it won't even ignite.

http://www.imperialrcclub.com/pdf/Misc%20Articles/Don%20Nix%20Fuel%20pg%202.pdf

^ While it may be true that nitromethane is "stable" when exposed to an open flame, but combust in under extreme pressure (I.E. boosted engine cylinder pressure) and you have one extremely dangerous, violent fuel.

Not to mention, gasoline & nitromethane don't mix either.

I'm done arguing my point. If anyone on here is stupid enough to mix 3,4,5,10 different burnable "fuels" together risking parts, engine , or even bodily harm in search of butt dyno power.... be my guest Sir Newton:rolleyes:

Maybe you can sell your recipe to the ricer crowd.:cool:

^ While it may be true that nitromethane is "stable" when exposed to an open flame, but combust in under extreme pressure (I.E. boosted engine cylinder pressure) and you have one extremely dangerous, violent fuel.

I'm done arguing my point. If anyone on here is stupid enough to mix 3,4,5,10 different burnable "fuels" together risking parts, engine , or even bodily harm in search of butt dyno power.... be my guest Sir Newton:rolleyes:

You're no fun. :frown:

True that. I wouldn't be brave enough to try it, people thinking about using nitromethane to add power should just use nitrous imo.

I think Fast and Furious 4/ Vin Diesel.. killed the chance of nitro meth...lol. Especially in the import crowd... "Only P***sieees run Nitro Meth!"