Upper Control Arm Installation question...

gpadilla1071

First off, Happy New Year to all of you!

OK, I took my control arms off to replace the bushings, ball joints, etc. I sanded arms to bare metal and primed and painted them. As I was reading my Chilton's book to ensure I didn't miss anything I ran into a part where it talks about the shim thinkness and location. Since I made a rookie mistake :mad: and forgot to take that in account I was wondering if there is a way to re-install the shims to ensure proper adjustment as close as possible. I have somewhat of an idea on to how many shims where on each bolt but as you all know is pretty tight down there and messing with shims is going to be an adventure and a half... Any input is greatly appreciated.

Are you saying that you DID NOT make note of the shims that were on each post (assuming there were some) before you removed the UCA? If this is true than you're going to have go get an alignment done once you put it all back together. If this is not true, and you did note the shim pack on each post, just put them back on in the same way when you put the UCAs back on and you should be good to go. The shims are "U" shaped so all you have to is loosen the lock nuts that hold the UCA to the frame posts and slip them in place if you just forgot to put them back on.

Yeap, that's what I'm saying. I didn't take it in account because when I pulled them off they were full of old grease and were stuck together. I realized it after cleaning them up. The alignment was going to happen either way, since that is the rule of thumb from what I understand. Do you think that the people aligning the car will do the shim adjustment? Thanks!

Do you think that the people aligning the car will do the shim adjustment? Thanks!

They better! You just might have to go to an old fashioned mom/pop alignment shop though. I don't know if I'd trust an STS Auto or Pep Boys kind of place to do it correctly.

They better! You just might have to go to an old fashioned mom/pop alignment shop though. I don't know if I'd trust an STS Auto or Pep Boys kind of place to do it correctly.

There are a few shops that I know of who I think will do good by me... Thanks!