Upper adjustable rear control arms on a Ford 9" rear

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Just messing around in the garage and wanted to install some adjustable upper control arms on my Currie Ford 9" rear in my GN. Want to be able to play around with pinion angle. Looks like an interference problem with the gusset on the rear that holds the bushing on the rear.

Anyone else have this problem? Did some trimming on the gusset a bit and still having issues. My car is lowered quite a bit so this might be part of the problem. Picture is at ride height.

Attachments

• upperarm.jpg
    upperarm.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 223
Looks like the clevis end of the arm needs to be deeper, and the tube end shorter, to get to the same OAL?? Maybe, call Paul @ HR??

i would notch the bottom box clevis arm and fugedaboutdit youll have plenty of clearance
the bracket is under tension on acceleration if it bothers you because you think its strength is compromised weld a gusset on each side of the notch you make to the adjuster tube

i have a 9" here with hr adjustable uppers , when the snow snow melts ill go see what they did ..if anything

i would notch the bottom box clevis arm and fugedaboutdit youll have plenty of clearance
the bracket is under tension on acceleration if it bothers you because you think its strength is compromised weld a gusset on each side of the notch you make to the adjuster tube

i have a 9" here with hr adjustable uppers , when the snow snow melts ill go see what they did ..if anything

Yeah, probably my next step. Was thinking this was going to be an easy bolt on and go deal, got enough other stuff to tinker around with. Still think there is plenty of meat left on the bracket as is but didn't really want to take too much more off.

rear end

I went with metco's and dont have this problem.......... also did you check and see who much higher the mounts is more on the 9 inch than the 8.5? just wondering. i have the 9' from moser. just luck.

Don't have an 8.5 to compare. This Currie rear was in the car when I bought it and the owner put it in when the car was practically new.:confused: Only had 4700 miles on it. No idea why he did it especially when he couldn't even figure out how to hook up an oil pressure gauge on it.

I compared it to the pics Currie has on it's website and it appears like they have changed the mounts on the rear compared to what I have. The new ones appear to be cut back more. Guess it is time to fire up the compressor again.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/images/product//currie/CE7011B.jpg

No good on this, tried notching the clevis and still not enough clearance. Guess I will have to go a different route, no reason why these can't be made with the clevis longer but doubt if that is going to happen just for little ol me.:rolleyes:

its the rear end

i guess i'll tell you what the problem is..........its the ford rear end. the ears is prob like mine its 7/8 of a inch taller than the 8.5 rear end. so that make the upper bars more level than with the 8.5 wich be more of a angle so it would not hit. maybe this will help.

Probably right Windmill. Got an email into Paul right now. Want to see what the dimension is from the center of the bolt hole to the part of the clevis that welds up to the tube.

hooked

well one thing........ know its alot of problems right not but look for the good side of it,,,,,them being 7/8 taller its going to make it hook alot better man being lower. my ole car has had 1.62 wih reg ole radial tire(no drag or soft tire).thats not to bad. and mide 1.4's wit drag radials.. so jut look for the future with your be just as good as mine.

Not necessarily. It depends how much HP the car has. Whats good for one car isnt for another.

well one thing........ know its alot of problems right not but look for the good side of it,,,,,them being 7/8 taller its going to make it hook alot better man being lower. my ole car has had 1.62 wih reg ole radial tire(no drag or soft tire).thats not to bad. and mide 1.4's wit drag radials.. so jut look for the future with your be just as good as mine.

Got 1.5" from the inside end of the clevis to the center of the bolt hole. Not too happy that I hacked up the gusset for the bushing. Being told that I should not even run it like that so guess it will be off to the welder once the roads clear up around here. NOT too FN happy about this.

"Being told that I should not even run it like that".
Nope. That chopped down area has some serious stress risers in it. If nothing else, I'd polish them smooth...

Got 1.5" from the inside end of the clevis to the center of the bolt hole. Not too happy that I hacked up the gusset for the bushing. Being told that I should not even run it like that so guess it will be off to the welder once the roads clear up around here. NOT too FN happy about this.

Been there before myself? I fell you pain brother:mad: I would have your gussets filled back in just because!;)

The stock mounting point on the on the 8.5 rear is 5" above the axle center line. On the Moser rears its 7".