upgrading trans '87 fwd

jaymaechtlen

I'm building a hybrid (Corvair), using 3.8 and trans from an 87 Delta 88. (Rear/Midships, Fiero style.)
I always assumed that that engine and trans were placeholders while I do all the rest of the conversion.
The motor is decent, and will get a turbo. The trans has really bad upshifts, and I expect it to need overhaul or replacement.
So, what year/model trans should I be looking for?
Regards
Jay

I've contemplated doing the very same project, but finding a decent body around here(Michigan) is beyond hope, keep us informed how everything goes.
As for building a 4T60, there are a few pieces to upgrade, some parts from the 4T65 will work and some will not.
The nice thing is there are many configs you can build using different final drives and sprocket combos, along with the fact you dont need the computer to run the trans.
It doesn't really matter what core you start with as long as it's 86-up, any 87-91 will be good starting point, the internals are easily updated when rebuilding. Good luck, pm me if you need more exact specs.

Kevin.

FWD trans interchange

Thanks- that helps.
Since the car is really light, and I won't be making big power anytime soon, I'll probably just throw a junkyard unit in for now.
So the years I'm looking for is "through 91"?

cheers
Jay