Upgrading Rear Brakes

Torx

My regal of course has stock drum brakes. I'd like to upgrade to rotors.

Is this a good idea? How hard is it to do the transition? Are there any kits online i can buy or what exact parts do i need?

Reason i ask is because i got bigger wheels and i need more braking power.
Thanks.

I bought a kit from Baer and installed it on my 87 Monte Carlo SS / Turbo Buick Hybrid. I an using a stock GN Rear. So far so good, very simple installation. Had to drill 2 holes for shock relocation bracket. Everything else was quite simple with the easy to follow instructions.

Let me know if you have any questions on the installation.

I also have the Baer kit, Jack Cotton is a dealer and can get you a price on the rear kit.

Install was okay, hard part was removing the backing plate with the 3 small screws that broke and had to be removed surgically.

No rust cars shouldn't be quite as big a deal.

Had a lift and my mechanic did most of the work and he had all the cool little brake tools that removed stuff like the C-clips and axle seals etc.

Shock relocation drilling was easy compared to other stuff.

Kit is complete including new emergency brake cables.

Directions are clear with pictures.

Excepting those little bolts that break on the backing plate. :frown:

I think it's only a good idea if you upgrade the fronts as well, start there first.

I just put some Aerospace Components on the rear of my car. Huge difference just doing the rear. The shut down at the track feels like it is about 1/4 mile longer now. :biggrin: Can't wait to get the fronts. You'll need to gut your stock combo valve and get an adjustable proportioning valve.

Price

disco stu said:
I just put some Aerospace Components on the rear of my car. Huge difference just doing the rear. The shut down at the track feels like it is about 1/4 mile longer now. :biggrin: Can't wait to get the fronts. You'll need to gut your stock combo valve and get an adjustable proportioning valve.
HOW DID THE SET-UP COST U

thanks guys for the input, yea i upgraded the front ready to get the back done.

Watch out for Wilwoods Proseries front brake kit

I saw you are going to upgrade front brakes with the Willwood system. Watch out! I paid around 650 for the kit another 200 for machine work to spindles, only to find out my new wheels are no longer useable, why? Because Willwood kicks out the hub an addtional 1/2 inch, which in turn throw off the backspacing on your wheel, It sent mine sailing into the fender, now I have to by new front wheels with a backspacing of 4.5. So watch out!.. I saved a little over my friend who got teh Bear system, but he had his on in two hours runnig down the road. Mine toolk two weeks, (waiting for machine shop.) :mad: :mad:

Torx,

please tell me that you regal has a turbo six in it, and your just borrowing the "bling" wheels because they have good tires, right?

no turbo, so you have nothing to worry about me ruining.

i'm just here for some tech help from knowledgable guys that know these gbodys inside and out.

okay guys, now where can i buy this baer kit?
jack cotton? does he have a website or email address??

no insult meant (even though it sounded that way), i respect anything you do to the car, after all it is yours, i actually like the way the car looked w/ the wire wheel hubcaps and the overall clean, luxo car look, if it was mine i'd left it like it was put the turbo motor in it and laugh it up when some punk kid has a stupid look on his face getting out run by something that looks so sleepy, good luck in anything you do to the car.