Upgrading Converter...Suggestions???

hot6-231

American and Proud!!!
Looking to upgrade my TC, but with so many TC's out there i'm looking for suggestions from people who have already upgraded to a higher stall, lock-up converter. I'm leaning towards the Precision 9.5 3200 stall single disc lock-up as it is realistically priced and has a 2 year warranty. Thanks.

Ken B.

the single disk Precision is not designed for wot lock up......if you want that, get the multi disk Precision or the 9-11 from Bruce

If there isn't anything wrong with your stock TC stay with it until it breaks. It works great with the TA-49.

Originally posted by Look Quick
If there isn't anything wrong with your stock TC stay with it until it breaks. It works great with the TA-49.

The only thing wrong with mine now is the lousy 60ft times I get from it. I can stand on the brake for 5 minutes if I want and the max boost i'll get is 5-6lbs. 60ft times also leave a LOT of room for improvement. The only thing keeping me from hitting 11's is THE TC. I've run some 113mph 1/4's, but I just can't get the car to launch for sh**. I've heard about the 9-11, but don't know much about it. Anyone else run this converter?? Thanks for all reply's!!

KB

i got a 3K orange stripe converter. held 7 lbs on stock brakes, cold street tires with a bit more left in it i think. spools great w/my TA49. im sure the other converters are nice and maybe more durable but i like mine fine and its only like $200

Ken I just put my 3K Vigilante in the GN with the stock turbo.

It's blowing some oil so it will be getting my PTE51 from the WE4.

It should work great and it's a good converter.

Of course it also got an Eric S. rebuilt tranny too. :)

I like the Vigilante so far.

3K stall should work great.

I don't think the D5 was designed for locking up WOT either. ;)

If you really want to lock it up a lot on the street and strip look at the 5 disk with the tranny mods. Infor. should be out there.

I've had probs. w/ the orange stripe. have tried 2 and they did not hold togrther at all 3500mi the 1st time and only 2500 mi the 2nd time just my .02

Ditto on the single clutch PI...not made for WOT L/U operation. IMO I would spend the extra $$$ now and get the multi-disc PI and hang on! I also used the 9/11 and liked the PI over this unit.

Thanks for the replys..........Got some thinking to do. I might just spend the extra $$$ for the piece of mind. Looking for some 1.6's next time at the track, no more messing around. Salvage, HOW YOU DOING!!?? Vigilante 3000 stall should work awesome. Let me know how you like it after some hard launches!! :D Ken

Ken you'll probably be there to see them.

Hope there's more LVD track rentals coming up. :)

1.6's eh? :D

Give me 3-4 1.8's in a row and I can retire from all this racing stuff, I think.... ;)

Actually I am not quite sure how much clutch material there is on a single disk Vigilante vs. the Stocker.

If there's more not quite sure why you can't lock it up for the occasional racing we do?

I run the 2800-2900 9X11 convertor (lock-up) with a pt51 and I noticed big improvement over a modified D5 convertor. Did not do anything else but the convertor and from experience it is a seat of the pants difference! If you looking for 1.5's to 1.6's my first choice would be a 2800-3000 stall 9x11 with a pt52, assuming stock heads, cam, block, heads, and free mods. Good Luck with your choice!

87 GN
Mike Banas

Originally posted by hot6-231
Looking to upgrade my TC, but with so many TC's out there i'm looking for suggestions from people who have already upgraded to a higher stall, lock-up converter. I'm leaning towards the Precision 9.5 3200 stall single disc lock-up as it is realistically priced and has a 2 year warranty. Thanks.

Ken B.

Follow this link,

http://transmissioncenter.net/200-4R.htm#Torque Converters

and ck out the "Raptor" series converters. This converter is actually made by Midwest Converters. I have a friend who works at a local speed shop, and he said he has heard good things about Midwest. I can only relay my experience so far, which has been positive. Seems to be well built, w/baloon plate, Kevlar clutch, etc. and reasonably priced. I put one in my car last season, and so far, I love it. I was getting 16-17 #launches w/a 3200 stall. If you are debating between 28, & 3200 stall, go for the 3200. Great launch, and you don't even know it's there in normal driving on the street.

Also, I think it really depends on where you want to lock the converter as far as single -vs- multi disc. I am locking mine close to the top of 3rd. Some folks want to lock them before the 2/3 shift, and this would put more load on the converter. The real problem is the trans in that configuration. The 200 won't live long making that 2/3 shift at wot w/the converter locked.

John you're right about the lockup issue.

I was thinking about the middle/end of 3rd gear not second.

Shoulda clarified that I guess. :eek: