Upgrade headlights

I don't know anything more about them then is in print on Kirbans site. The link to these is in my earlier response & make reference to it.
Yes, I agree that H1's are needed for High beam. Best to contact Dennis directly to inquire about specifics.

Still happy with your HIDs.

My opinion is still the same. The cutoff is way better with the Ecodes. The HID's do give better hi beam, turn instantly on/off and give the illusion (worse light pattern) of more light. I still have never been brighted by oncoming traffic. In reality if I knew the end result I wouldn't have gone through the expense and trouble of changing them from what I had. If I still had the stock stuff then it would be 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

My opinion is still the same. The cutoff is way better with the Ecodes. The HID's do give better hi beam, turn instantly on/off and give the illusion (worse light pattern) of more light. I still have never been brighted by oncoming traffic. In reality if I knew the end result I wouldn't have gone through the expense and trouble of changing them from what I had. If I still had the stock stuff then it would be 6 of 1, half dozen of another.

Did you install HID's in your E-code housings or did you install proper projector lense in your clear glass housings?
If you did run the HID's in your E-code housings, did you run the HID shield at the same time?
Just wondering.

Did you install HID's in your E-code housings or did you install proper projector lense in your clear glass housings?
If you did run the HID's in your E-code housings, did you run the HID shield at the same time?
Just wondering.

I installed the HIDs in the Ecode housings, which I know is not the best thing to do. I do have the shield installed.
At the time I did my installation the Hella projectors were the only quality option. They are pricey, don't have brights, require radiator support modifications and in my opinion, do not 'look' right/good on our cars.

as mentioned if you go with the H4s do yourself a favor and hotwire the leads under hood to the lamps , they will overheat the headlamp switch and the dimmer switch and the lamps will cut out

i have had them in my 86 since 04' . and after replacing the hi/low dimmer what i did was cut the headlamp wires in the front end harness (by the horn) and installed relays with direct power coming off the alternator.
there is no comparison between std bulbs or even the silverstars and the H4s hotwired.. seriously its night and day different

How did you replace the hi/low dimmer? GM manual is not to clear...

I procrastinated on the relays for the HID's (bought and never installed...) and I think I fried my hi/low dimmer...

How about these bad boys!
Starr 4"x6" HID BiZenon Projector Headlights.

Starr 4x6 BiZenon HID Projectors1.jpg

Attachments

• STARR-XP4656B-8T.jpg
    STARR-XP4656B-8T.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 140
Here's a link for more information.
http://www.starrhid.com

If you click on the installation instructions tab & photo gallery tab you'll see lots more on the XP-4656 Starr 4"x6" Projector Headlights.
These are DOT approved & have a very large & high quality projector lens (similar quality to an Acura lens) giving it excellent optic characteristics & is BiZenon (hi & low) via a motorized flap that moves when Hi / Lo is demanded. Designed to use D1 HID bulbs, I'm using my D2S bulbs & purchased an adapter harness for it at the same time so I could utilize my existing Phillips 4300K D2S bulbs & 35 watt electronic ballasts.

Not sure if Starr is still in business though? These were super rare as they were a pair left over from a broken up set of 4 (4"x6") used on Emergency Vehicles (firetrucks & ambulances) / Kenworth & Peterbuilt Trucks that utilized the (4) 4"x6" headlight systems. They do have a convex polycarbonate lens, so they will not be flush & could give a little "bug eyed" look, but I think they will look OK as the Buicks' turn signal housing / lens protrudes a considerable amount which should diminish this look somewhat. Haven't installed them yet, will be my spring project.
I've been getting lots of PM's from members asking me where I purchased these from, so I'll post it here for you.

Headlight Revolution. I dealt with Chris Nelson.
their website is:
www.headlightrevolution.com

dave

Last edited:
Just caught this thread....we sell the complete kit using H4 bulbs....also sell the plug and play upgraded harness by itself which we highly recommend as it eliminates any possible problems with your factory headllite switch. The headlites we sell are glass come with 55/60 bulbs installed and they can be upgraded to as high as 100 watts as our harness has two 80 watt relays in the system. The headlites we sell (glass) are the closest to factory that we have found in the aftermarket.

HIDs which has been pointed out can be an issue for proper aiming and in my opinion are overkill. Lighting as come a long way since our cars were built. need further proof look at your instrument panel at nite. the 7 little bulbs that lite up your analog dash are over 1 1/2 inches away from where it needs to shine the light!

Our upgraded plug and play harness only works if you stay with the H style removeable bulb format. I will post our part numbers in the next post.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Just caught this thread here are the part numbers you can put in search onour website kirbanperformance.com #7530, 7531,, or 7532 gives you 3 options. They key is the upgraded plug and play headlite harness which will handle up to 100 wats....but not any HID versions. Our complete kit includes 4 glass headlites that look factory and comes with 55/60 bulbs installed and you can upgrade from there to 100 which will shine plenty of lite.

The key is you need an upgraded harness as the headlite switch format is marginal at best in our cars. The harness has 3 terminals for each headlite switch is what you need when you upgrade.

Our lighting is primitive at best in our cars need further proof look at your instrument dash at nite....GM used 7 little bulbs and they are positioned over 1 1/2 inches back from where they need to shine the lite on your analog dash.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Plenty of options exist our focus is with one that looks like it belongs in the car yet improves nite vision.