Upgrade fuel feed line #2

D

Dean

I need another fitting # if possible. This would be an adapter fitting to go from the stock filter to the -6AN. We want to retatin the stock style filter so that if we are ever in the middle of nowhere-land and need a fiter, we can go into any decent parts store and pick up a one up.

BTW, the Aeroquip rail adapter fitting (PN# FCM2608 -6AN to M16x1.5 with “O” ring) was exactly what we needed, but we were disappointed to find the small orifice size of 0.185 on the rail side (even though it was larger than the orifice at the feed line fittings). I remedied it a bit by opening up the fitting on a drill press to ~0.220. The narrowest part of the flare that retains the o-ring is ~0.310 on our samples, so we decided toopen it up to ~0.250, just ~0.080 smaller than the -6 ID. That should be good enough, though possibly smaller than if we had re-tapped it to 3/8 NPT to -6AN (I'll measure to see).

Another BTW, after researching the stock feed lines a bit more, we were shocked to discover the tiny sizes of the orifices that the fuel needs to pump through, not to mention the total degrees of bends. We believe that elimination of just some of the fittings alone could provide the results we are seeking, though we are going ahead with the -6 to eliminate all the the restrictive bends in the stock lines as well. A full report of our findings will be forthcoming, if you would like, hopefully with some before & after test data of the pressures at the pump end versus the rail end. We'll also do a volume test on the two cars, before & after.

Originally posted by Dean
I need another fitting # if possible. This would be an adapter fitting to go from the stock filter to the -6AN. We want to retatin the stock style filter so that if we are ever in the middle of nowhere-land and need a fiter, we can go into any decent parts store and pick up a one up.

BTW, the Aeroquip rail adapter fitting (PN# FCM2608 - JIC 06 to M16x1.5 with “O” ring) was exactly what we needed, but we were disappointed to find the small orifice size of 0.185 on the rail side (even though it was larger than the orifice at the feed line fittings). I remedied it a bit by opening up the fitting on a drill press to ~0.220. The narrowest part of the flare that retains the o-ring is ~0.310 on our samples, so we decided toopen it up to ~0.250, just ~0.080 smaller than the -6 ID. That should be good enough, though possibly smaller than if we had re-tapped it to 3/8 NPT to -6AN (I'll measure to see).

Another BTW, after researching the stock feed lines a bit more, we were shocked to discover the tiny sizes of the orifices that the fuel needs to pump through, not to mention the total degrees of bends. We believe that elimination of just some of the fittings alone could provide the results we are seeking, though we are going ahead with the -6 to eliminate all the the restrictive bends in the stock lines as well. A full report of our findings will be forthcoming, if you would like, hopefully with some before & after test data of the pressures at the pump end versus the rail end. We'll also do a volume test on the two cars, before & after.
Dean that should be the same fitting for the fuel filter also? I don’t have one in front of me right now to check but should be the same –6 AN to M16x 1.5 Aeroquip PN# FCM2608 (sorry for the JIC earlier, a throwback from my heavy equipment days) it is AN. But now that you mention it the stock filter is way to small and a source of a restriction its self unless changed at lest once a year for a car that needs all the fuel it can get or is pushing it?….Phil

:)

What do you know, it is! hehehe...

I can agree about the filter being a restriction as well, particularly compared to some of the "high flow" items out there, but for the reason noted above we would like to stick with it.

I suppose another test we could perform would be to mount everything up with the stock filter and check the fuel PSI before and after the filter, as well as another flow test to see what the GPH out of the rail is @ ~70psi (we'll be using a hand held vacuum pump). Then I have a friends SX Performance #41002 down in the garage that I could probably borrow to install & check again.

Data to follow!

:-Dean