Upgrade for the gen2

marleyskater420

still needs to learn
First off, thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

I know with the gen2 I am able to adjust the WOT timing on the car, but I was wondering if there is any work being done to have the ability to set the WOT timing for each individual gear. That way when I'm on the street, I can run much lower timing in 1st and 2nd so that I can hook, and in 3rd raise the timing a bit, instead of a set WOT timing across the board.

I apologize if this is already available for this piece. I have the manual in front of me and cannot seem to locate how to do this, if it is available.

I think this feature would be really helpful to tuners who like to drive their cars on the street as well. Of course we will always obey the speed limits...but some people just like to get to the speed limit a bit faster than others :)

I also have some ideas about an alcohol controller that can determine how much % of fuel is being added from the alcohol injection, and how much from your regular fuel. As well as a built-in knock sensor in the controller that auto-corrects (similar to AFR correction on the gen2) when knock is detected.

Just some ideas I had. I have them written down in more depth elsewhere. I don't know if any of this is possible, but I figured I might as well ask, right!

Which chip are you using? With the Extender Extreme G chip you are able to adjust the timing in 1 & 2 independent of the timing set for 3 & 4. I set base timing with the Gen2 and adjust +/- 1 & 2 via the chip.

Which chip are you using? With the Extender Extreme G chip you are able to adjust the timing in 1 & 2 independent of the timing set for 3 & 4. I set base timing with the Gen2 and adjust +/- 1 & 2 via the chip.

I forget which chip it is, but its the one required to tune the timing if you have the Gen2..the extender pro? I'm not sure.

So if you adjust timing on the chip, and the gen2 has its own WOT timing selection as well..what does the ECM read as the timing? Because the gen2 doesn't say that its only for 3rd and 4th, it just says WOT timing. So if I were to change it on the chip, would the gen2 override it, or visa-versa?

I would think it'd be easier to just have the gen2 have a 1-4th gear WOT timing selections. Would that be very difficult to implement? I don't know anything about how these things are formulated.

You have the correct chip. The timing set on the Gen2 is the base timing for all gears. Then go into the chip settings to adjust the timing of first and second gears up or down to the desired setting. The chips default setting in 1 & 2 gear is 8(+2 degrees timing).

Bob Bailey would be better to answer your questions about implementing changes.

Use the chip to adjust 1-2 timing. Use the gen2 for 3-4.

If you can't hook, you have the wrong tires. :p Generally we run more timing in first and second gears.

You have the correct chip. The timing set on the Gen2 is the base timing for all gears. Then go into the chip settings to adjust the timing of first and second gears up or down to the desired setting. The chips default setting in 1 & 2 gear is 8(+2 degrees timing).

Bob Bailey would be better to answer your questions about implementing changes.

So 1st and 2nd gear have 8degrees of timing? Thats it? What did you mean in parenthesis by "(+2 degrees timing)" ?

How would I get in contact with Bob Bailey?

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Use the chip to adjust 1-2 timing. Use the gen2 for 3-4.

If you can't hook, you have the wrong tires. :p Generally we run more timing in first and second gears.

Crap, I lost the chip info on how to change the timing...

The chip's default setting is 8, which is +2 degrees timing as to what is burned into the chip by Bob. Example, the chip's base timing is 21* for all gears, +2 degrees for 1 & 2, timing in 1 & 2 will be at 23*. Go to Full Throttle's tech forum and download the user manual for Extender Extreme chip, to get a better understanding of what tuning you are capable of with the chip.

TurboBob is Bob Bailey's screenname. He frequents this site and Full Throttle's tech site.

Fullthrottletech site is not working. Can't download anything from there right now.

I have the chip manual on another computer. When I get to it, I'll post it up.

What tires are you running?

Hopefully I'll be able to explain this without too much confusion.

You can, as you know, set the WOT timing in the GenII. Suppose you select a value of 19*. That's a good value for running street 93 octane. Other fuels may allow higher value.

In the chip, you can adjust what is called "WOT LoGear spark advance" LoGear means 1 & 2. The default value in that cell, I think it's cell 10, is 8. This default value is set to ADD 2* to the lo gears.

Adjusting the value up each incrament adds 2 more degrees, for a total of 8*, and by the same token, adjusting the value down each incrament subtracts 2 degrees, for a total of 8*
So you could go as high as +8 in 2 dgree steps, or -8 in 2 degree steps.

Clear as mud right?

So, for example if your WOT timing in GenII is set for 19*, your 1st and second gear WOT timing will be 21* while 3rd and 4th gears will be 19*, if the chip is at default. This btw is a perfect value when running straight 93 octane gas and a fair bit of boost.
Now suppose you change cell 10 in the chip from 8 to 9. This bumps the 1/2 timing up 2 more degrees so your WOT timing with no other changes will be 23 in 1/2, and 19 in 3/4

You seldom/never want your 3/4 WOT timing to be higher than 1/2, because the heaviest load is in the high gears (3/4)

If you're not hooking, timing is NOT your issue.

When you run alky or race gas, your WOT timing in the GENII can then be increased accordingly. Maybe 22 for alky, and higher for good race gas. I hesitate to throw out specific numbers because each car is a little different.

Here's a bit more confusion. In my example, I run the Translator Pro it has an AUX input that is fed by my 3rd gear switch. I then set my WOT timing for 19*, and then set AUX(hi gear) WOT timing 18*.

and added to that is the default 2* of Logear timing in the chip, so...... My 1/2 timing is 19+2(21) and my 3/4 timing is 18*. Those values in conjunction with the large front mount I run allows me to run trouble free, knock free 21# of boost on straight 93 octane gas(no alky).

LOT's of tuning alternatives in these cars!

In reviewing the GenII manual I keep around for reference, you can do the same thing I do on the Pro. IF you do in fact have the Extender Pro chip installed.

The Gen II has an AUX input. It's the purple wire on the 4 pin connector. You could tap into the 3rd gear signal being supplied to the ECM, like we do on the pro.

The GenII also has "Spark Adv @ WOT" and "Spark Adv @ WOT (trig)". If I read correctly the triggered WOT advance would be used when the AUX input goes active (3rd/4th gear).

So you basically have all the WOT timing adjustments you originallhy asked about in your opening post.