Upgrade advice

corkyhand

Hey guys looking for some advice on my 87. The car is at the body shop now but when it gets back i would like upgrade some stuff on it. I have all the necessary items in it already, ie hot-wired, 340 pump, new sensors, scan master, etc. The motor is bored .30 over, 205-205 cam, and everything else is stock. I'm looking into a pypes 3" exhaust, 3" thdp, and a stretched stock location IC.

My question is for the turbo. It was going to get either the 44 or the 49 for it with that set up. Now I was told a pte6262 would work great for it. The car is a street/cruising car mainly. Is the pte6262 going to be to much for it for the street? If I go with the 44 or 49 which ones better? Aren't they pretty close to each other in performance? Any advice would be great.

49/44s have been in the 11s pretty easy .. The new 6262 I would think its overkill for ya. Plus ya still have stock heads. Keep it simple .. you'll be happier :p Oh I'd add an Alky kit from Julio.. GREAT bang for the $$$ !!

We like simple! I thought he 6262 would be a little to much for me. Any preference on a 44 or 49. Pros/cons? Seems like a lot of guys are using the 44.

I have used the 44s since they came out.. Daughter ran mid 11s for years with a stock motor with a 44. :cool:

I have used the 44s since they came out.. Daughter ran mid 11s for years with a stock motor with a 44. :cool:

x2...mine rips up tires now with alky and a stall. I can't imagine more power being usable on the street...but I'd try it. The 44 is a great street/strip turbo though for cheap and plenty fast. Just my $.02

The 44 sounds like the one I'll go with Since it will be best for both worlds. Alky will be in the near future. I believe the stall I have is a 2500, will that work with the 44? Too low?

TE-44 Turbo

Hey Dan,

I'm curious as to what kinda boost levels and timing are you using to get mid 11's with your 44? Precision or Garrett .63 AR housing?

I'm sure that you've gotta be spraying "the juice" too.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm at the same cross roads too. I don't want to be running 27+ lbs boost and alot of timing to get there as the car is a driver for the street.

Was originally going to go with the 5857 DBB with Ported S shroud (to handle compressor surge), which I'm concerned with by throttle modulation (on / off for the street), however I've heard that the 6262 dbb will get you there with much less boost (which is good for me because I don't have alky at this point in time).

Can anyone confirm this as I'm thinking of going down this road and pulling the trigger on one soon. Know I'll be changing the convertor on them both, but especially on the 6262 sooner than later. Would like to leave my stock D5in place for this year + add RJC's boost controller to help out.

Thanks,
:)

dave

Hey Dan,

I'm curious as to what kinda boost levels and timing are you using to get mid 11's with your 44? Precision or Garrett .63 AR housing?

I'm sure that you've gotta be spraying "the juice" too.

Reason I'm asking is that I'm at the same cross roads too. I don't want to be running 27+ lbs boost and alot of timing to get there as the car is a driver for the street.

Was originally going to go with the 5857 DBB with Ported S shroud (to handle compressor surge), which I'm concerned with by throttle modulation (on / off for the street), however I've heard that the 6262 dbb will get you there with much less boost (which is good for me because I don't have alky at this point in time).

Can anyone confirm this as I'm thinking of going down this road and pulling the trigger on one soon. Know I'll be changing the convertor on them both, but especially on the 6262 sooner than later. Would like to leave my stock D5in place for this year + add RJC's boost controller to help out.

Thanks,
:)

dave

FWIW, I had a little surge, even with the Tornado installed. With Razor's alky, it's a lot better than with my old smc kit. Julio's kits come on with less spray. No surge w/out alky, but it works. The 6262 SP will be next for me but then you need an IAC angle boss too for the 4" inlet. The 44 is great though, and I'm hoping for high 11's tomorrow on 20psi with my 44, the stall should get me there as the D5 was close but took 25psi to get into the 11's for me. It's a combo though and for a street car, it doesn't take much stall to make a 44 sing where the 62 would be a little slower I presume.