Updating my Limited

TURBO 6

Beer Snob
Staff member
Ok so I bought my friend's Limited which he's owned for years. The car has 10,900 original miles. A true "cream puff". Unfortunately though, it has old school parts on it. A big shaft TE63, 50's, TT alky chip, etc. Its been 11.40's at 119mph. Fuel pump is probably some Red's pump or whatever. I'm sure it's old and needs to go.
Not bad but I'm sure technology has advanced.
I came back to Buicks from racing coyote mustangs (hey it was fun but nothing unique) and ran E85. The fuel allowed me to run 9.50's at 147 in my last 2015 GT. So I'm no stranger to it.

So I understand TT sells 80's and a chip for E85. Also one can use a flex fuel sensor for ease of switching back to 93? My question is what would you guys do to minimally update this low mileage car. I'm not cutting shit or removing anything. I'd like to eventually update the turbo in the future as well. Maybe shoot for 10's on E85?
I know this fuel is MUCH more SAFER than 93 and Alky. E85 is available a few miles away, so it's a no brainer. Plus it's smells much better without a cat, lol.

Quote:"I'm not cutting shit or removing anything. I'd like to eventually update the turbo in the future as well. Maybe shoot for 10's on E85?"

If you add the right parts with your 63 turbo and 80's, you should be able to run low 10's on e-85.

My Limited on e-85 will be getting a FM intercooler to go along with alum heads, and should run high 9's with a new Borg-Warner EFR turbo which is about equal to a 63 or 66 3 bolt turbo.

With what parts you plan to use, and FM intercooler plus a fuel system upgrade, you should be able to obtain your goal.

Nick I just want to keep the "updating" to a minimum. The goal isn't really to run 10's right now, but set the car up for E85 with the latest technology. Injectors, pump(s) chip, wb02, flex sensor. I firmly believe switching to E85 will net enough power (over 93/alky) to get a 10.9x pretty easily.
Add heads and cam, low 10's all day.

Transmission & converter "upgrade" if it still is stock .

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. It has a PTS billet 9x11 converter with a shift kit. Transmission shifts great. I don't plan on changing any of that. I basically want to keep the car like it is but convert to E85.

Can someone tell me what I need?

I would replace any old rubber fuel lines , fuel filter and install DW300 or equivalent flow pump , at least 80 lb injectors . Some even replace the fuel tank when switching to E85 ( I didn't ).

I would replace any old rubber fuel lines , fuel filter and install DW300 or equivalent flow pump , at least 80 lb injectors . Some even replace the fuel tank when switching to E85 ( I didn't ).

Thats what I was looking for.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. It has a PTS billet 9x11 converter with a shift kit. Transmission shifts great. I don't plan on changing any of that. I basically want to keep the car like it is but convert to E85.

Can someone tell me what I need?

When you convert to E85 and turn it up to run your 10.90 .. it will puke the stock trans probably on the first track outing ... you will need to put hard parts in the trans with that power level.

for 10.90 DW300 pump, 80# inj, good power to the pump, datalogging equipment and trans work / converter ... after that it will start to get pricey !

for low 10's Twin Dw300's, 120's or 130's , heads / cam like you mentioned but the stock crank will be ticking away :(

I just want to keep the "updating" to a minimum.
I would add a second Red's pump or whatever,larger injectors,and a chip to operate them. Then,for the first time in the life of your Old School turbo,i would command it to do all of the work it is capable of. I also recommend a Power Plate if you don't have one.

I know huh? That TE63 can move some air. It's way too big for stock heads. I'd like to replace it eventually.

I know huh? That TE63 can move some air. It's way too big for stock heads. I'd like to replace it eventually.
In the meantime,it sounds like you have a turbo that functions well,an engine that runs strong,and a fuel pump with the longest reputation for reliability that outshines the competition at 70 psi where it matters. It's time to celebrate.