Update!! Long Delayed 1st Shift Fixed

cutluse231

Thanks to all that put in their help and their ideas
Well went and looked it over once again , my "ENGINEERED" TV bracketry to ataach the TV cable to the carb wasnt cutting it.
Found a carb throttle shaft from a Electronic 4-bbl that had all the correct locations on it for the TV to hook up to.
Once installed I measured full travel of the TV and found out I wasn't even close,I pulled the cable out by hand thought it was done till I felt resistance then pulled more (BINGO!!!).
So I marked where the tv cable would be at full throttle by the gas pedal, then relocated where my TV attached to my extension bar. Did the clicks thing at full throttle and (TAADAAA!!)
Took on a test drive and that old Regal scared me and shifted very firm and solid and kickdown ....HOLY COW!! aint the GN but HANG ON!!!:D

Thanks again guys
Your the best!!!!!!!:cool:

Hey cutluse231,

I have an 86 Regal with a 70 455, 200-4r, and a Moser
9" with 2.75 gears and trac- lock. What an awsome
combination. I know the Turbo cars a cool, but there just
ain't nuthin like big block tourqe when you stomp the petal.
I ran my G-tech on this combination, but with a Th350 tranny,
and ran consistant 4.8 o-60 times. YEEHAAAAAA!!!!

Supernova455

I seem to remember this post LOLOLOLOLOL

WE4
Moderator, Prayers NYFD

Quote by cutluse 231
"The bracketry that connects the tv cable to the carb is crude but works"

WE4 Quote

"This would scare me. It has to be perfect!. I would bet it is tv cable related ."

Hrmmmmm ... imagine that......................Tv cable was it you say? ROFL! heheheh

http://www.SETurbo.com/

The 2004rPerformance Center
Performance Transmissions Services
Southeast Turbo Performance

"The Original and 1 and Only!!"

:(
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce......
(as Cutluse bows down)
I'm Not worthy, I'm Not worthy,I'm Not worthy!!!!;)

Yep your right, thats what kept me motivated , That dang TV cable geometry, and hookup, kept thinking it worked great till then ( the eng expiring on the GN), now this? HMMMM..
Figured I'd go the extra step and start over, having that Throttle shaft with the correct linkage helped:D .
Mine was crude( loosely stated to say the least) and found out it would slip and move when the tension was applied and the TV cable where it attached was pulling through and bending the metal.
So ya guys ...heed Buce's advise..it works...
AND YES TV GEOMERTY IS CRUCIAL...:rolleyes:
again Thanks Bruce:D

Caddy 500 +200 4R

Hey cutluse231 and 86with455 let me try this on ya'll since you have big blocks +200 4Rs.

I'm planning to put a 2004R behind a 500 Caddy, talked to a techie at one of the Caddy speed shops about which cam to use, when I told him I was using a 200 4R he laughed at me.

No surprise, so I explained about Bruce's innards--no wise cracks, you know what I mean. He told me that what the Caddies break on the 200 4Rs are the cases! The techie said he had seen this several times--either the case split in the middle or at the back around the output shaft.

He explained that when the torque convertor stalled at say 2500 rpm that the motor was developing 600 ft lbs torque.

What you think?

Clay ...I honestly dont know how ours will hold up .
I do know there are several on this board that run some very stout Turbo Regals, with 200R4`s behind them, and no problems.
Im also on another board called V-8 Buicks .com and there is a discussion thread on 455 Regals and a few guys there run 200R4s behind their 455's oneeven has N2O on his with no problems.
Also there are a couple GS's and Stage 1 Gs's with very healthy 455's backed up by 200r4s. No problems that I'm aware of yet.
Now I will say I have heard of failures in these, mostly internal stuff overpowered, worn out, TCC failures, not enough cooling, burned up, but never a cracked case or anything externaly broken, mine was one about 2 years ago, nothing broke, just lotsa milage, and More than normal HP in my GN.Basicly to many drag races wore it out.:D
I did upgrade mine according to what both Greg, and Bruce suggested,a harden stator, 10vane pump, "Blue Plate" clutches, and something that was done to 1st gear (dunno can't recall).
The converter is supposed to be a "Red Stripe", I do not have a shift kit, but I do have a big external ft mount trans cooler.
So I'm about to find out, I would say with Bruce and Greg's advise followed and parts replace as they suggest, a 200R4 should live behind a stout engine like yours .
I will keep you and everyone on this board updated on how everthing is going.
Good Luck with your project ,sounds like it's going to a very fun ride.:)
Later

I'd say there is something else wrong. My case is holding up just fine. I guess I'd believe 600 @ 2500 only when I saw it on the dyno myself. Anyway I make well over 500 lb-ft at 3000 and have had no problems. That includes stip action as well pulling 1.6 60's. I would think if the mounts are engineered properly this problem should go away. Some goofy design like a solid tranny mount and rubber engine mount could cause this.

No way!!!

They had a geometry problem or something was twisting. I have put these behind more weight and power than anyone and NEVER seen this. I 100% disagree.

Bruce!

I thought you had disappeared???

I hope you are right! Cause I still plan to use the 200 4R unless something else crops up.

The guy I talked to knew his Caddy stuff and more about trannies in general than I do.

Regarding the 600 ft pounds at 2500, the caddie guy said they called anything with less than 500 weanie motors.

I'll post images of my "coated" motor pieces when I finish so you can make fun of me.