Update #2, successful weekend at Tri-State!

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
Welp, what can I say. There was a very nice turn out at Tri State, I believe there were 8-9 Turbo Buicks including Sarah, and about 6 Syclones and I believe 3 Typhoons. There was also a sweet looking supercharged blow through carb'd Malibu. This was on our side of the track, there were a lot of other modern GM machines on the other side of the track, not to mention some SRT-4s, 4 Evos, a couple of WRXs and tons of race cars. Very good turnout, I only wish they would have stayed open longer as the weather was absolutely 110% perfect racing weather. Got to meet some new people and see some familiar faces.
DSC00147.jpg

For this track visit, I ran my new ET Streets, aired to 11psi, boost was still at 24psi, fuel was un-touched as far as the numbers were concerned, but I did pull out - 3.1% fuel in 1st to help with spool up just in case. But, I upped the timing under WOT in 1st & 2nd to 26.3* and 3rd & 4th to 26.1*. Not having enough time to get my air bags installed or to get the rear brakes up to snuff, I knew it was going to be tough to launch with decent boost much less hook a high boost launch, but Dave and I put our heads together and went old school. We disconnected the drivers side front sway bar link and that really did the trick as far as weight transfer went. Nothing else has been done to the suspension, it's 100% stock at this point. Car # 97 and all runs made in right lane.
DSC00149.jpg

1st pass

.781 O2 Zero Knock retard, 24psi total boost, fp at 43.5psi, launched with 5psi and the car was all over the track spinning. I told myself, it felt like a 12.40ish pass and I predicted that it might run a 40 or 50 on the first pass.
1stpass-1.jpg

12.459 @ 108.38 with a ehhhh 1.843 short time.
Not too bad for the first pass, now, let's get too tuning. I get back to the pits, pop the hood and the first thing I notice is, the tie down strap eyelet bolt was broken and the tie down strap was luckily still there. Dave actually predicted that it would break before we left the Fiscus Ranch. I hastily repositioned it and snugged it up. Let her cool for 1 hour and reset tires back to 11psi.

The next run I pulled more fuel out of 1st as she didn't want to hold more than 6psi before pushing. 1st gear fuel correction was adjusted to -8.6%, fuel under WOT was still + 15.6% and I turned the RJC boost controller all the way up until there was no more adjustment left. (standard actuator was still set at static with just enough pre-load so that you could pull it onto the swing arm with your fingers)

2nd pass

.761 O2, 1.6 Knock retard, 25psi total boost, fuel pressure the same. Launched with 6psi and she still spun badly. But I told my self going through the traps, well, maybe another tenth or two better but not much considering the boost only went up 1 psi.
2ndpass-1.jpg

12.283 @ 109.83 with an almost identical 1.849 short time. Pulling fuel and the 1psi of boost definitely helped the et and mph.

For the next pass I wanted to get serious with the tune and decided to let my boy Dave make a pass. Kinda stacking the deck in my favor as he is actually about 150#s lighter in the weight dept that I am. Timing left the same, pulled -9.4% fuel out of 1st and added +17.2% fuel for WOT. I tightened the actuator up 6 half turns (3 full turns), hoping the boost would go to 28psi. This whole time I'm making these tuning adjustments I was talking to my car, yes I will admit it. She didn't have a problem with any of it. I told Dave before he even got in the car that he was going to run an 11.99 on this pass. I just had a feeling....
DSC00162.jpg

3rd pass

.617 O2, 3.8* Knock retard, 27.5psi total boost, fuel pressure un-touched. Dave said he launched with 9psi and it just blew the tires off.
DSC00167.jpg

3rdpass-1.jpg

When the score board lit up, all my friends were like, Damn Patrick! You nailed that one! Needless to say, I was very pleased. 11.991 @ 112.61 with a wonderful 1.81 short time with stock suspension too boot.

It was getting close to shut down time and I wanted Dave to make one more pass. I only got to give her 37 minutes of cool down and the Stock location intercooler was still very warm when I shut the hood. For this pass I upped the WOT fuel to +18.8%, left the 1st gear fuel correction at -9.4%, left timing alone and boost alone, but Dave lowered the tires down to 10.5psi in the staging lanes, hoping that it would help a little.

4th pass

.136 O2, 6.1 Knock retard!!!!
4thpass-1.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

The run was looking very good until she went through the traps.
12.109 @ 101.13 with a 1.769 short time, better. I told my buddy Ken, I bet he either lifted due to knock or it blew a hose off.
Dave comes back, gets out and says, I don't know what happened?.? She was on a good pass tho, but it was like the car just cut off at about 1000ft. Not cutting off, but just falling on it's face. I popped the hood and the first thing I noticed was that the hard plastic tube with the factory rubber connectors on the fuel pressure regulator had blown the bottom rubber piece off of the hard line. Basically when she fell on her face, she lost all fuel pressure and it went back to static level of 43.5 instead of 71psi. Luckily, I had enough octane with the gas I was using to only allow for 6.1* of knock retard. I checked the oil, it looked and smelled fine, checked the coolant, no problems there, no leaks and she was purring like a kitten. Guess I got really lucky on this one. The really interesting thing to note from the previous pass is, the car ran a 1.769 vs a 1.812 on pass 3, 7.626 @ 92.22 vs 7.677 @ 92.14 on pass 3 and a 9.960 vs a 9.999 on pass 3 at the 1000ft. I figured that she might have run a high 80 something on this pass.
All in all, I thought this wasn't bad considering everything that was working against me. No suspension mods, not locking the converter up and not having time to change the fuel filter. Trans was shifting perfectly with no problems, which was a very good thing to find out. So, I loaded her up today and drove her back home with zero problems.

At this point, I am very pleased with the way she is responding to the tune.
In two track visits and 7 passes she's gone from a 13.37 @ 105.37 to a best of 11.991 @ 112.61. I couldn't be more proud of her.
DSC00148.jpg

I am going to work on a few things and save her for Bowling Green. I would like to be able to run 11.50's to 11.40's at Bowling Green. If she happens to go faster, that would be sweet.
My game plan calls for working on the rear brakes, installing the rear air bags, removing the front sway bar completely, changing the fuel filter, plugs, oil, oil filter and O2 sensor. Getting a lock up switch and ash tray panel setup done, running pure C-16 and maybe installing a Metco rear sway bar. I might take out the sound deadening mat under the back seat to save a little weight, but not sure yet. But I do know that I gotta get busy as I've only got 22 days before it's time to race. I would like to say Thanks to Don Mudrich (d0n-3d) for helping me thrash this past Thursday night, my boy Dave for also helping and doing a good job of driving and Natalie for putting up with us during all this, she is awesome.
Thanks for reading and sorry it's so long winded.
See everyone at Bowling Green.

Patrick

Good job.

What is the combo on that car? I know 6031DBB and PTE SLIC. Correct? What else? TC? DP? Exahust?

Combo is this:
TE-60R with standard actuator (6031RE), RJC boost controller, PTE Stock location intercooler, Coan built trans with Coan 10" 3k stall l/u, 3" TH downpipe with dump, 2.5" duals with Flowmasters. (they are coming off very soon) Motor is stock 96k miles with only a few modifications. RJC power plate for stock plenum, 100# valve springs, double roller timing chain, valve cover breathers, 65# Mototron injectors, Erics' TT Pro race chip, MAF pipe with 9" K&N cone attached to MAF, hose feeding in outside air directly to the filter, 160 T-stat, Accufab adj fp reg, hot wire kit, Walbro F2000169 pump, tie down strap, original MAF, original Coil pack and module, stock posi rear end, Scanmaster v2.1, boost and oil press. Very simple combo.

I've so far gone with the bigger is not always better theory and am trying my darndest to fend off my recurring case of Racecaritis. I'm pretty sure that I will be happy with mid to low 11's. I hope. Spool up is very fast as she was hitting full boost at about 5-8 ft off the line, which I'm sure didn't help the stock suspension out much in the hooking up department. That's quite a bit of torque at 27.5 psi to hook up with nothing more than sticky tires. Working on that tho.
Thanks guys.

Patrick

Well on that last pass it was on it way to a 11.80 ot even a 70 with a better 60 ft and 1/8 mi. Good Job. Thats the way to do it. You are again showing that some sensible parts and good ol tuning will make these cars fly.

The fact that you are doing this has lit a fire for me to finish the TTA. I have a S cover 6152, injectors and T+, valve springs , fuel pump ect.. and those are the only BIG parts in it. Hope to get it it in the low 11s

HEY I know all about having that fuel pressure hose blow off on top of a run like that! Though I wasn't as lucky as you were. When I was running my 61 at 27 psi (basically trying to better my 11.12 pass), the car was running like a raped ape up until the 1000 ft mark. Noticed the car fell on its face and the o2's dropped all the way down to .000...yeah later on I find out after doing a compression check that I popped a head gasket.

Now I have cable ties on every single vaccum line connection possible on my car:tongue:

Great job Patrick and nice times for Sarah!:cool:

Thanks for sharing your progress with us with all the pics as well as timeslips, these are the types of threads that help others when it is time for them to make some passes at the track:)

I had a good time but got sidetracked helping a buddy out with his Malibu.
Here are some pics I took:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Patrick,

Congratulations on the 11.9 pass.

I am a little worried about Sarah though...
Isn't she being a little promiscuous allowing both you and Dave basically hot lap her.....:eek: ;)

Get the KR down! Do a little suspension work! Try leaving off the E-brake, its fun! LOL :eek: Time below in my sig was off the E-brake! Sarah will respond well! See you in BG!

Thanks guys.
Welp, I hate to say it, but all runs were made using the e-brake. I only had time to do the fronts before time to race and the brakes wouldn't hold more than 10psi before pushing on Dave.

Today I did a little shopping.

- S-10 rear wheel cylinders from the Zone.
- All the special brake tool pliers that I seem to have lost over the years.
- #692100 Russell pre-made 3 piece SS Brake lines
- #639580 Russell speed bleeders for front calipers
- #639520 Russell speed bleeders for rear wheel cylinders
- #555-63000K Jegs Roll Control valve with install kit
- #289-17219 Two each Dynomax Ultraflow Race Magnum 2.5" mufflers
- New single layer fire jacket
- Ash tray 4 switch, switch panel with one of them being TC L/U from BuickGN
- Soft compound long rear brake shoes from Kirbans

I'm slowly getting there. Planning my work, and working my plan. I don't know about anybody else making a pass with her. Sorry Jason. She didn't take too kindly to having the fp regulator hose blowing off, no matter who was driving. Not too fear tho, it's been fixed. Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone.
More to come....

Patrick

very nice run patrick;) , got to see your first run but missed the others
maybe ill get mine up to those times very soon....i hope

Way to GO Patrick! Thats good info for all the budget "Buick Board Member" to follow.I love the way u list all steps in full detail so that New Buick Members can understand the Do's and Don'ts in tuning a turbo buick.

See Ya in BG.

Awesome description of everthing that you have done to the car so far :)

Getting into the 11s is great, even better when you dont have alot done to the car. Keeping it simple has always just been,.. well... easier!

My only advise that i can relate to you from my experience from my white car back from last october and november to this march is the following.

I boxed my stock upper and lower control arms on the car, and the bushings seem to have that worn in feeling. Car has 90,000 on it and the stock setup is working great.
Just doing the ATR style rear bar, a air bag, and boxing the control arms, my 60's went from 1.75s down to consistant 1.60 to 1.62 on 28x9x15 et drags.

I also am running racegas in the white car, and splash a little DIY methanol kit to it. The et dropped from 12.0s to 11.7s and also gained a solid 2 - 2.5 MPH on the topend. I use 110 octane and supplement the rest with methanol.

Just food for thought on the methanol kit, i hope you do get the car into the 11.40s in BG. I will be there, but not racing, just bench racing :)

Best of luck to you
BW

Congrats Patrick. It was good to hear from you the other day. Dave looked like he was enjoying himself. We all forget how much fun the mild Buicks can be...now when you see Dave and myself at the track we're usually busting our a$$ and pulling our hair out.