Unmodified and untouched

Mpatterson2727

hello guys and thank you for the add. After many years of waiting and looking I found "the" car. The car that I have wanted since I was 12 years old. There are a couple of things that aren't desirable by some but it's exactly what I wanted. 86' GN, t-tops, all digital, posi rear and 40k miles. Garage kept, 1 owner and abosolutly perfect and untouched. My post is about a few questions. I have been reading and know that time will take its toll on a few things perfect or not. I will have the car running 100% factory perfect (wires, plugs, seals and gaskets) but I was told it needed a couple things, fuel pressure regulator and a manual gate controller. FPR because the factory ones are destened to fail and the controller to 100% regulate boost. I do not and will not drill holes in anything or mount gauges anywhere. I do not want a modded out 9 sec race car, I just want my car to run as right as it can, as factory as it can be. This car is show quality and 100% beautiful. Thanks everyone again for the add and thank you for all your future help.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0629.PNG
    IMG_0629.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 302
Congrats on your find. If you want it untouched, leave it if there is no issues which what you mentioned. The stock wastegate is fine unless you want to play with it and turn up the boost. The fuel pressure reg I would also leave alone. Pull the cap and shreader valve out of the factory fuel rail and hook a gauge up to it to see what you are currently getting. If it is between 38 to 40 with the vacuum line off. Leave it alone and enjoy the car.

Yes sir, we are going through the typical wires and plugs, vacuum line test and pressure, fluids. Just want it to run right, hold 14-16 boost and run like it should.i bought the car from a broker and visited extensively with the previous owner. Older gentlemen that purchased the car new in 87. No rain, never snow and always kept in his heated and cooled shop. I will keep it as factory as I possibly can, I just want to know how to address issues that may happen. Thanks again

Im sure you did your due diligence of your dream car,enjoy it!....however, after appraising Buicks at a Buck dealer for 20 years i find it not likely for original paint be perfect,or even close.

I have 200 pic and a video of the car of when I purchased it. A couple of small chips behind the rear tires and a small blemish on rear deck lid about 1" long. Paint is perfect and this car is show quality. And original paint. I payed top dollar for a perfect car and that's exactly what I got. I powered pics of it and she is beautiful.

WOW Sir , She is absolutely beautiful . Congrats on your find and I agree with all the post but I would get a scanmaster and hook it up and she where every thing is at and the just un-plug it and maybe keep it in your glove box for future use . Do you know what thermostat is in the car ? just bout all of us change it out to a 160 * but I guess its really no biggie in your situation . Enjoy the car and if you have any questions just ask . Keith
Oh and where are you located ?

Nice car! The only thing I would do is put a more modern chip in the computer if it hasn't been done already. The stock chips had too much timing for today's gasoline. That may require you change the stock 233 fuel pressure regulator to a 237 regulator. Get a chip from Eric (Turbotweak) for a stock setup with closed loop idle. Other than that leave it alone.

Congratulations. Your car looks great!
As an original owner myself, I would like to add a couple of tidbits.
If you plan to drive your car I would suggest getting a Turbotweak chip for drivability.
1st. In cooler weather, on start up, mine would go to high idle for approx. 30 sec. or so and start to decrease. Because the factory chip went too lean too quickly my car would stumble, go to high idle and start the process all over again and would do this four or five times before the engine was warm enough to run at slow idle.
2nd. When decelerating, the factory chip keeps the torque converter locked which can cause chugging and bucking at 25- 30 mph until the car downshifts to 2nd gear unlocking the converter.

It seems all parts on our cars are destined to fail, just replace them as needed.

I believe the stock chip was set to run 12 psi boost, running higher boost levels would require a different chip or a boost controller.

My choice would be to get the Turbotweak chip which has the proper tuning for today's inferior fuels as well as advanced programming to eliminate the problems previously listed.

I would be very tempted to install an air distribution power plate (ADDP) from RJC Racing that goes between the plenum and the intake manifold to equalize the airflow to all six cylinders so you could run 16- 18 psi boost on 93 octane fuel with the Turbotweak chip, but then again, that much boost is not stock.

Just my thoughts,
George

Beautify car and great find! You will enjoy it for many years no doubt. I can appreciate the "no drilling holes" philosophy, it's one of the things that drive me to come up with mounting brackets for things like a MAF translator that do not require any holes to be drilled. You can always put the stock item back on but you can't undrill a hole!
Thanks for posting up such great pics! Welcome to the group. Great group of guys here.

Welcome aboard.
I followed along with the staying stock philosophy on my GN, but went with the "wisdom of the crowd" and installed a TurboTweak chip, the car already had an adjustable FP regualator (no extra holes needed). Scanmaster just sits on the dash, wired to cig. lighter.
Good luck with everything.

Keep it stock as you can. It's nice.

You can make a quick connect for the scan master so no wires will be seen and its a great tuning tool .

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the family! My car is also an unmolested 100% original example, so I can understand where you are coming from. As the guys said, I would invest in a Scanmaster, and a TT chip at a bare minimum. I couldn't believe the difference after I installed one... I left my fuel system as is, and I can tell you that I have zero issues with knock, and the car runs strong for a stocker. I would also take a look at the radiator, as that is one thing I had to address. I had the stock piece re cored and with a 180 stat, she never goes above that number even with the AC on blast in traffic. Also, considering your car has T Tops, I would look into installing some front frame braces and the rear seat brace that Kirban offers. I did and it made a difference in my 32K mile car. Just my two cents...

Good luck with the car and enjoy her every chance you get!

Thanks guys, all appreciated. I am located in pampa tx, east of amarillo. When I was 12 years old my older brothers best friend got an 87 for graduation. T-tops off and going to sonic for a soda and 5 burnouts later I was completely hooked. Have always appreciated and loved the GN but could never find the one, as I am a foxbody guy, i now have the one I have wanted and all my other stuff that's badass.....

Last edited:
Perfect car congratulation :) I have a 86 GN too 17000 milles And I love That car :p keep it stock....no trouble;)
Have fun

Congrats and welcome to the best group of guys and gals on the net! Go to BG sometime and you will truly see what owning one of these cars is all about.

Bowling Green , KY , Its in the late fall , they just had it back in september . Its a yearly thing , car show , racing and alot of Buick cars as well as vendors . Its at Beach Bend race track . This year was my first and had a blast