Unknown GMP Prototype and other Rare Things

Epitome

Staff member
Alex inspired me to dig into the old stash and break out one of my favorite, rare GMP Prototypes from what is now 10 years ago. When we were designing the Centennial 2003 GNX for the 100 Year celebration in Flint Michigan, I immediately just thought that Black Chrome with the Centennial 2003 logo on the rear quarter panels made sense. I was urged by folks at GMP to try some of the required samples in a new Gold Chrome that was available, so I did. 3 were made and when they arrived it was immediately apparent that it would be a no go for such a large run. The words "christmas tree ornament" were said with a smirk. On top of the overkill, the Centennial 2003 logo was gold to begin with, so on the Gold Chrome it was just an outline. I still have all 3 of these prototypes and just for you guys, I snipped one out of the bubble wrap it has been in for the last 10 years. This is the first time a picture has ever been taken or the car has ever been seen by anyone other than me and GMP. Enjoy below.
Another weird thing I did, was have serial number #0000 cars made on a few of the really limited ones. It started with the Molly Designs 1987 Buick Grand National. When a production run was completed, one of the first cars off the production line was always boxed and overnighted to me so I could OK it. I decided that it would be cool to have this car serial numbered #0000. I took the first one we did and had it sent to Molly Sanders personally for him to sign and hand serial number it. This is the first time it has been out of the box since years ago. I also have a #0000 Rosewood and I suspect there is a Rare Sage, but I am not sure where it is. That should be the only 3 released that way.
Last, is just a weird production error that no one really knows. When we produced and released the 1987 WE4, I didn't get the production sample before it was shipped from overseas. When I got it I almost fainted. Every outer white shipping box said "1984 WE4" instead of "1987 WE4". GMP decided to just release this car to us without the outer white shipping boxes, which they removed and destroyed. Luckily, the inner collector box was correct. As far as I know, the only surviving box is that first one that was overnighted to me when I made the discovery.
I hope you guys enjoy the history.
DSCN0964.JPGDSCN0965.JPGDSCN0966.JPGDSCN0967.JPGDSCN0968.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0969.JPG
    DSCN0969.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0970.JPG
    DSCN0970.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN0971.JPG
    DSCN0971.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCN0972.JPG
    DSCN0972.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 225
Alex inspired me to dig into the old stash and break out one of my favorite, rare GMP Prototypes from what is now 10 years ago. When we were designing the Centennial 2003 GNX for the 100 Year celebration in Flint Michigan, I immediately just thought that Black Chrome with the Centennial 2003 logo on the rear quarter panels made sense. I was urged by folks at GMP to try some of the required samples in a new Gold Chrome that was available, so I did. 3 were made and when they arrived it was immediately apparent that it would be a no go for such a large run. The words "christmas tree ornament" were said with a smirk. On top of the overkill, the Centennial 2003 logo was gold to begin with, so on the Gold Chrome it was just an outline. I still have all 3 of these prototypes and just for you guys, I snipped one out of the bubble wrap it has been in for the last 10 years. This is the first time a picture has ever been taken or the car has ever been seen by anyone other than me and GMP. Enjoy below.
Another weird thing I did, was have serial number #0000 cars made on a few of the really limited ones. It started with the Molly Designs 1987 Buick Grand National. When a production run was completed, one of the first cars off the production line was always boxed and overnighted to me so I could OK it. I decided that it would be cool to have this car serial numbered #0000. I took the first one we did and had it sent to Molly Sanders personally for him to sign and hand serial number it. This is the first time it has been out of the box since years ago. I also have a #0000 Rosewood and I suspect there is a Rare Sage, but I am not sure where it is. That should be the only 3 released that way.
Last, is just a weird production error that no one really knows. When we produced and released the 1987 WE4, I didn't get the production sample before it was shipped from overseas. When I got it I almost fainted. Every outer white shipping box said "1984 WE4" instead of "1987 WE4". GMP decided to just release this car to us without the outer white shipping boxes, which they removed and destroyed. Luckily, the inner collector box was correct. As far as I know, the only surviving box is that first one that was overnighted to me when I made the discovery.
I hope you guys enjoy the history.
View attachment 177267View attachment 177268View attachment 177269View attachment 177270View attachment 177271

I just thought of something else, but I am not sure where it is. When we were working up the design for the ever popular 1:18th scale Grand National Drag Trailers, the first prototype said "Intercooled" on the side. It kind of made sense, the 4 wheels with slicks that came with it were 1986/1987 Grand National wheels. But I decided, that 1984 and 1985 Grand National guys might eventually use the trailer too, so I changed it to "Turbocharged" instead, so more people could be interested. I believe that one trailer is the only prototype to say "Intercooled" on the side.

Also, the first prototype of the Yellow w/Flames 1987 Buick GN Drag Version accidentally included the GNX fender vents on the hood (like "Tweaked" had) and the orange flames were much too dark. I had the dark orange flames lightened and the fender vents removed. I believe this is the only one like that.

I believe that I have most, if not all of the normal Turbo Buick 1/18 releases. And I also have some that were modded/customized, and while I understand it is not some peoples cup of tea so to speak, I think they are still neat and different cars. I have not really been collecting much over the last couple years since I have been downsizing my collecting and only focusing on Turbo Buicks and Firebirds/Trans Ams. Funny thing, these couple threads over the last couple weeks though have made me want to get back into collecting these two car lines and looking for the more rare stuff.....thanks guys, and I am sure my wife ( you dont need all those expensive little cars) thanks you too!!

Well, if you ever have any questions about any of the GMP or GMP/Epitome releases, please feel free to contact me. I do have a very small stash of old releases still brand new that I sell from time to time. In fact I posted a bunch on Ebay last night for the lowest starting bid prices in a long time as the last auctions before Christmas. I will probably post about the auctions in the next day or 2 in a separate thread. Just search auctions by epitomeexclusives on Ebay :)

AHH very nice stuff there Ted!!!!!!! i love that gold gnx:):):) im working on getting pics of my rare gmp's soon:) i'll have alot of prepro color samples(1/18), ALL my rare 1/43rd buicks(color samples, tooling samples and the first shot mold cars in bare metal),1/24 color samples,tooling samples and bare mold cars. Also.....a few tooling samples in 1/18 and all the first colored buick tooling cars!!!! pics coming soon!!!!!!!!

AHH very nice stuff there Ted!!!!!!! i love that gold gnx:):):) im working on getting pics of my rare gmp's soon:) i'll have alot of prepro color samples(1/18), ALL my rare 1/43rd buicks(color samples, tooling samples and the first shot mold cars in bare metal),1/24 color samples,tooling samples and bare mold cars. Also.....a few tooling samples in 1/18 and all the first colored buick tooling cars!!!! pics coming soon!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the pics of the 1/18's

It's great to hear from you again Ted. It's been a while since I've seen you at the track too. I hope all is well.

I'm sure I speak for many on this board but I want to thank you personally for creating the special cars that we Buick diecast collectors love.

I had the good fortune to meet Ted at a Grand National event that was held at our local track. He had set up a small card table to promote a project that would coincide with the upcoming release of the GMP GNX 1:18 diecast. He took on the monumental task of trying to match a 1:18 GNX (w/ rear license plate) with the dash number of a real GNX. I struck up a conversation with him because I was already collecting Buick-related diecast up to that point. I wished him well on his endeavor and asked, "what if you can't find all of the owners, what happens to those cars?" Ted assured me he would try his best and mentioned that if I wanted, I can be put on a list of absent cars. I of course said sign me up!! I purchased the regular issue GNX when it was released and didn't think anything about "the list" until I get a call from Ted telling me that a few numbers were available for purchase. I didn't hesitate for a second and was very fortunate to obtain GNX #77 which came with the awesome Mike Doble artwork. Having a low number (I forget the cutoff) enabled me to purchase the matching GNX transporter as well and subsequent GMP releases. These are much cherished pieces of my diecast collection.

Thanks again Ted for your support of the diecast hobby.

p.s. Would love to see a 1981 Regal Indy Pace Car diecast..... or maybe just a Cream Beige '87 T would suffice.

1/18 1 of 3 first color samples i have all 3 :) and a pic of some rare stuff in my curio all scales including the RAREST 7 bag set which makes 3 full 1/43rd first shot mold cars never made straight from china 1OF1 in the world!!!!!!!!
Now that is some neat stuff! Post up some more pics when you can.

Back in 1999, Epitome Exclusives was company I built, simply to help GNX owners get the diecast models that matched their cars. I am just a Buick enthusiast like everyone else and had a few small businesses as I put myself through school for my degree as a Physical Therapist. I had always wanted a Grand National myself and had been saving for a nice one. I remember seeing that GMP was going to release the 1987 Grand National model, but I missed that somehow, so I ordered extra White Turbo Ts after seeing how much the Grand National models were selling for. I then was talking to a friend with a GNX that was lamenting the fact that GMP wouldn't let him order the GNX model with the serial number to match his car. Luckily, GMP was eventually willing to sell all 547 to me and I took on the task of finding the real owners. Epitome grew much larger after that, custom ordering and selling thousands of cars. All made possible by a shared enthusiasm for a car that many people still don't understand. The Turbo Buick community is filled with such good people that are willing to bend over backwards to help each other, I know of no other car community that acts this way. I am glad to be part of it.

Very cool pics of the cars! And I second the 81 Pace Car, and would love an 87 T-top car!

About a year, maybe 1 1 /2 ago, I remember seeing one of the "1984 WE4" error boxes for sale on ebay. It was actually the entire car for sale & the description mentioned nothing about the error box, so I don't think the seller even knew about that. I remember because it was different than I had ever seen before (as far as the we4's go), wish I would have bought it, but I didn't. So, apparently, there's more out there than just the 1 you have, Ted.

I like the gold car! & its really neat hearing about those details about the cars. Thanks for that.

2turboT has the coolest rarest cars! <jealous>

I would like to find the 1984 we4 since i own a super low mile we4 :) i have looked around years ago(talked to gmp owners,designers, and major dealers and NO box!!! i'd pay your asking price if anyone has one:)

thanks gncollectables:) i have more pics coming(1/18th 2 tone red over black 83 molly, 1/18 we4 with chrome trim prepro, 1/18th 1987 designer series cars with error dark over light over dark paints, and the VERY rare tooling sample white drag car in 1/43rd scale 1 of 1 .

I know it is just a personal mod, but I saw someone on the Diecast Pub that took a red 83 Molly car and put GNX wheels on it along with a few other minor mods. Looked very sharp!! I was kind of interested in trying it myself but I heard the GMP wheels are tough to remove from the car, and finding those two cars inexpensively to be donors doesnt seem possible.

I hear ya..you could make some real cool cars!! i just am not a fan of customs.....EVERY gmp car(bare metal first shot,tooling,prepro,color sample,in house built sample) i have has either i signed cert from tom long or a signed cert from one of the gmp designers that were involved in the making of the buick gmp's:) lots of history and cool stuff!!!!!